Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

Frogman, I can certainly see why "Slide" is one of your favorite trombone players; like you say, he's got the "tromboniest" sounding trombone. Without a doubt, he will be added to the collection. That's probably how he got the nickname "Slide".

There are times when I wasn't sure whether or not I was listening to a trumpet or trombone, now I know why; Bill Watrous's trombone sounds somewhat like a trumpet, that does require a lot of speed, both of these guys will be added.

Bennie Green is probably my favorite trombone player, that's because "Soul Stirrin" is one of my favorite tunes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aeVlQtsaFE

Can you identify who's blowing that first sax solo. Although I've got the LP, there are two tenors; Billy Root, and Gene Ammons, that's why I can't tell who's blowing the first solo. While I'm certainly familiar with "Jug", this might be the only album I've got "Billy Root" on. Can you shed some light on this?

Enjoy the music.

I'm falling in love with these trombones all over again; here's one by the "Jazz Crusaders" featuring Wayne Henderson on trombone, it's titled "Young Rabbits".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA7f9HIXox4

Enjoy the music.
Very nice clip! I love the sound of tenor and trombone fronting the band. First solo is definitely "Jug" (Gene Ammons). He's got that big robust sound and that distinctive slightly nasal quality (in a good sense) in the upper register of the horn. I am not very familiar with Billy Root's playing.
Players sometimes like to "quote" other tunes in their solos. This cracked me up: at 1:05 Jug quotes, of all things, "The Flight Of The Bumblebee". Gotta love it.
Typo alert!!! It is at 3:05 that Jug quotes "Flight Of The Bumblebee", not 1:05. Sorry.

O-10, The Crusaders was going to be my next mention. They came to mind when I mentioned the trombone/tenor front line on the Bennie Green clip. I was very into that group back in college; a time when jazz was being bastardized by some and by the influence of rock and electric music. They were always able to incorporate the "new " sound and not stray too far from the spirit of jazz. I love their sound, and boy does it bring back memories!