Setup question

A brief setup question if someone doesn’t mind helping me out. In my family room, I currently have a 5.1 setup with a HK AV receiver, 2 JBL towers and JBL everything else (which will be upgraded to PSB sooner than later). I wanted to add vinyl to my family room setup but my receiver does not have phono in. I bought a nice Rotel turntable and NAD amp that can be used as a pre, power or integrated amp.

My question is, what is the best utilization of this equipment? Should I go turntable > NAD (pre) >HK? Or should I go turntable>NAD (integrated) >speakers and use the speakers for both setups with a switch?

Thank you in advance for your help.
128x128eli_tackla
Good morning, I mean using only the phono stage in the NAD. For this you run TT into phono input on NAD, select phono as source on NAD, NAD record out into AVR line level input, select that input as source when listening to vinyl. NAD only need to be on when playing vinyl and the AVR serves for signal processing and amplification. The NAD is not hooked up to speakers at all.
@mesch Gotcha-i thought you were saying to avoid the AVR for phono..ultimately, the AVR is becoming a pain in my ass anyway.  My TV and xbox only have optical outs and the optical in on the AVR doesnt recognize the signal.  Ive played with all the settings and reset the receiver.. It only accepts the signal from the cable box.. So that coupled with the fact that its the weakest link in the setup has me thinking i should be looking into a new AV receicer in the 7.1 or atmos line. 
eli,

If you're thinking about ditching your current HT receiver, you might want to just use the NAD and get the receiver out of your system altogether. I think the NAD by itself will sound better for vinyl and it might be adequate for your HT duties, although it will be 2-channel only.

7.1 or Atmos is going to cost you a lot more money just in speakers, not to mention the cost of a quality HT receiver to power them. You might want to figure out the budget for a 7.1 or Atmos system, speakers, amplification and source electronics, and then listen to a comparably priced 2-channel rig. The 2-channel rig, at the same overall price, should sound significantly better than the 7.1 or Atmos system of the same price.

That said, you might find that you just prefer HT/surround/multi-channel. In that case, just buy what you like best.

For me, it's not even close. I prefer quality 2-channel over mid-priced HT/surround....every time.

Enjoy,

TIC
@reubent Thank you for the advice. I think I'm going to try that and see how it goes for a little while..It's not a big room anyway. A 7.1 or Atmos system would take up more room than the furniture so 2 channel might be the best way.