Need help with DIN to RCA phono cable troubleshooting

Somehow, I am currently having an issue with an apparent ground problem with my DIN (female five pin straight connector) to RCA phono cable. The arm is a Dynavector 501 mounted on a custom plinth, supporting a Garrard 401 table.

There is a reduction in overall volume, bass frequencies are MIA, and this is all accompanied by a loud hum. I have tried doing a continuity test from a spare headshell to the ground cable, and RCA terminations. I can't tell where the ground was interrupted, I need guidance in how to test for proper continuity in relation to signal and ground leads. Also, I don't know where the shielding should be connected, so a thorough explanation will be needed.

Thanks for any help that can be given.
 Regards,
 Dan
islandmandan
This might help. See the diagram in the thread.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analogue-source/249088-5-pin-din-connection-point-point-rca.html
Can also be a bad phono stage because you said bass is missing in action.  That means your missing the RIAA EQ stage or the wires are out of phase since a lot of vinyl has the bass in mono.
Bass frequencies missing in action would suggest one channel may be out of phase.
5th wire on DIN connector should earth the arm and be connected to chassis earth on phono or pre.
If the 2 signal channel cables have a floating shield ( as in twisted pair plus shield ) most phono cables connect the floating shield to the -ve side of the RCA ( if not using balanced connectors ). Personally I prefer to solder wires to the floating shield and keep them separate from the RCA. This means that you can connect the floating shield to the chassis.
The problem with connecting the shield to the RCA is that it is dumping noise into your phono section directly.

When testing for continuity make sure you disconnect the cartridge. In some instances a meter can burn out coils in a MC cartridge.    

Dear Dover, Which method  should be used to connect the XLR

connectors? Should the ground wire from pin 5 in the Din5 connector

be split in two such that each can be soldered to the pin 1 on the

XLR connectors? Or should only the (floating) shield of both

channels be connected to the pin 1 on the XLR connectors?

Post removed