Class D Technology

So I get the obvious strengths of Class D. Efficiency, power output & running cool which allows for small form factors. I also understand the weaknesses somewhat. 1. Non-linear & lots of distortion that needs to be cleaned up with an output filter. 
So my question is, if it weren't for efficiency & power, would there be any reason to own a Class D amp? Do they beat Class A in any other categories that count for sound quality?  
seanheis1
h2oaudio/Henry,

Makes sense that PS is using the B&O ASC700 Ice module when comparing specs. I think you're right since I found this quote from Ps Audio owner, Paul McGowan, in one of his newsletters:

" The Stellar mate to the Gain Cell DAC, the Stellar S300 and Stellar M700 amplifiers have B and O modules in them for their power amplifier outputs, and what we call an Analog Cell for their inputs. I’ll explain what that is in future posts. It really makes them quite magical sounding."

Thanks,
  Tim

Thanks Dave, Now back to the original questions.

So I get the obvious strengths of Class D. Efficiency, power output & running cool which allows for small form factors. I also understand the weaknesses somewhat. 1. Non-linear & lots of distortion that needs to be cleaned up with an output filter.
So my question is, if it weren't for efficiency & power, would there be any reason to own a Class D amp? Do they beat Class A in any other categories that count for soundquality?  
Seanheis1,

I typically avoid forum discussion such as this as I feel anything I say can be interpreted as being BIAS, but I feel compel to write a few words regard the discussion at hands. Actually,  Class D in general, and particularly Icepower and Hypex have very low distortion figures.  Class D output filter is not there to clean up distortion but rather to recover (demodulate) the original audio signal from the modulated signal (carrier signal or switching signal plus the audio signal).  Please check out Hypex's specs for their Ncore modules which has impressive distortion figures, and that is an understatement. Having said just that...Does that mean that Hypex Ncore is the holy grail of audio amplification?  That depends on in what system and more importantly to whose ears, and that is the question.

BTW, I finally decided and have just ordered 2 NCore400 modules to test drive and see/hear what is the rave is all about.  I will definitely be comparing the Ncore to the Icepower.  It will be interesting to say the least.

Henry
Check this out:

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0216/D_Sonic_M3_3000S_Dual_Mono_Amplifier_Review.htm

Them’s a lot of notes in the sound ratings at the bottom of the article!

Why would anyone with a need for monster power to drive their speakers best not consider something like this? The potential upside is huge for many.

Disclaimer: I am not that familiar with Dsonic, just citing this article as reference. Do not know return policy, customer service quality, etc., all things that matter.

Thanks for the link Mapman. You make a very good point and the days of 60-150 pound amps is really behind us. I would love to hear this amp on my 90db efficient speakers so hear how effortless it must sound. I may:)