Class D Technology

So I get the obvious strengths of Class D. Efficiency, power output & running cool which allows for small form factors. I also understand the weaknesses somewhat. 1. Non-linear & lots of distortion that needs to be cleaned up with an output filter. 
So my question is, if it weren't for efficiency & power, would there be any reason to own a Class D amp? Do they beat Class A in any other categories that count for sound quality?  
seanheis1
Check this out:

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0216/D_Sonic_M3_3000S_Dual_Mono_Amplifier_Review.htm

Them’s a lot of notes in the sound ratings at the bottom of the article!

Why would anyone with a need for monster power to drive their speakers best not consider something like this? The potential upside is huge for many.

Disclaimer: I am not that familiar with Dsonic, just citing this article as reference. Do not know return policy, customer service quality, etc., all things that matter.

Thanks for the link Mapman. You make a very good point and the days of 60-150 pound amps is really behind us. I would love to hear this amp on my 90db efficient speakers so hear how effortless it must sound. I may:)
Hifi sound is best when low distortion, effortless and dynamic. I experienced this as hoped in my larger room with larger speakers in particular when moved to 500w/ch Class D amps, but power and current hungry smaller monitors (more limited output in comparison) benefited similarly as well.

When I sold hifi back in 1978 (Tech Hifi), we had amps from 15 to 120w/ch available for comparison from many of the top lines of the day in a decent sized showroom.

Guess what? With any kind of decent speaker, the 120 w/ch model in a line always sounded best. Assuming realistic levels and dynamics matter. If not, or room is small, then not such a big deal.

Given the power rating, the module of the D-Sonic 3/3000 is probably the Pascal X-pro2. There is also a mono version of this amp, called 3/1500M, probably based on Pascal X-Pro1. See:

http://www.d-sonic.net/products/mono/

Cost of D-Sonic 3/1500M is $1300 per chassis.... And $2600 for a pair of 1500W Pascal amps is a pretty good deal.

Per my old notes, Dennis at D-Soic can be reached by phone at:

800-862-7998

Guido

e