New Technics SL 1200 GAE

Anyone acquired a new Technics DD 1200 GAE? Has anyone not been happy with the stock arm and changed it?
nkonor
Jbhiller:

I'ts an an awesome table and I'm glad you're enjoying yours. You are the only other person that I've read whose tried going into manual mode and lowering the torque. I went back to auto mode about 2 weeks ago just to remind myself of how its sounds in that mode. Fifteen seconds and I was back to manual mode :)

Evidently Mr. Fremer thought enough of it to do two you tube vids of the SL1200G in direct comparison to his Caliburn with the SAT arm. I've listened to them both very carefully. I'm fairly sure I can hear which is which. The technics having better pitch on the Glockenspiel but also because he has the unit in auto mode the decay and sustain suffers somewhat on the Technics.

Also one other piece of advice, the stock mat is horrendous, at least to my ears (as was the stock mat on my SP 10 MK3. I have a prototype acrylic mat that I've been using for several months supplied to me by Chris over at Artisan Fidelity. It sounds incredible with this table. I'm not sure if it is a real product as yet but it couldn't hurt to ask him.

Thinking of getting a VDH Grail SB for the GAE, using it with an iPhono2/iTube2 (wired up to regulated linear power supplies) with about 250 hours on iFi devices. It would have to be heard to be believed, they are world class. Actually the iPhono2 is better than even Mr. Fremer stated when used with a regulated linear supply and the iTube2 makes a it true baby AMR PH77.
My SL1200GAE came in and then the AT ART9 showed up. Got the cart installed this morning. I've heard this cart will take some time to fully break-in but with the first hour of play I can say with confidence that this TT kills my VPI Scout 1.1 with Zepher MI cart and I thought the VPI was a damn good TT.

@jbhiller

@Chakster,

Why is the ToneAudio review of the 1200 G useless?

This is very subjective point of view, it is more like an article in the blog than professional review, there is no real comparison, no data, nothing. The fact that GAE is better than 1200 or 1200mk2 is obvious (look at the price). Where is the comparison of the GAE to the proper Technics stuff like SP10mk2 or SP10mk3 (with Miscro Seiki copper matt like CU-500) or some other top class vintage direct drives like Denon, Victor, Pioneer from the 70s and 80s? Where is the comparison test of the new arm and old EPA-100 or EPA-100mk2 or EPA-500 for example?  

And the Ortofon Skratch cartridges... he must be kidding?

Maybe it’s just be, but i’ve been using SL1200mk2 for 20 years and i still got them running in the dark corner of my room (fully upgraded), i’m so extremely bored about this design, it’s not attractive anymore for me like it was in 1996.

This is so stupid that Technics new turntable is not a reincarnation of the SP10mk2 or SP10mk3 and EPA-100 tonearm! This is my opinion, i know most of the users are happy, but maybe for you it’s like a come back to your childhood or something, for me it’s just the same looking deck that i’ve been using contantly for 20 years, so i’m not so enthusiastic about this GAE and that Tonearm at all, especially for $4000, i believe it’s a good turntable, but common... sorry.

The decks i really love and use now in the main system are SP-10mk2, SP-20 and Luxman PD-444 and they are much more attractive and much easier to use with any tonearm i want or two tonearms at the same time. This is what i call usability and oustandign sound quality for much less money. I don’t care about new turntables and the hype about this GAE with warranty card etc. This is a top deck as described everywhere in the stpid reviews like that tone audio, but most of the audiophiles would like to replace the tonearm straight away. So why not just release the transport then? And the arm like EPA-100 that everyone loves from the first sight?

Personally i would never buy this GAE even for half price, the design is important for me and i’m tired of this SL1200mk2 or SL1210mk2 looks. The choice of tonearm is important for me and i want to have a deck for any type of the arm. I don’t want to pay for the tonearm that i don’t need in the future since i have much better tonearms like Reed 3p "12 or many vintage japanese tonearms.

Peace Out

Thanks for following up. You make some fair and subjective viewpoints. 

I can see the issue with the design, but for me it is not one.  

I can't comment on what most audiophiles would do with the stock tonearm.  I can say that giving the tonearm a review without hearing, touching and using it is not terribly helpful. 

I can only comment on the performance that I'm experiencing.  My unit sounds glorious, fit and finish are superb, and has great ease of setup as well as its solid build. I was considering the new Luxman line, which adds another $2k plus.  I wanted the Japanese over-engineering, reliability, and rock solid construction--and I got it in spades. 

I found that lowering the torque setting made things airy, smoother, and more relaxed.  The boogie and drive in the auto setting was stellar but the table seemed like it couldn't loosen its top button and relax, until I moved the torque setting to manual an dialed it in.  
Jbhiller:
You should  still hear the same level of "boogie and drive" with the unit in manual mode.
Concerning the design, I love  it. In some ways the jewel like precision and construction reminds me of some of my GS Seiko watches. Absolutely some of the finest engineering you will find anywhere without the ostentatious trappings. 

I for one do love the design, I think they got it right over 30 years ago and so therefore why tamper with it. It is extremely functional and easy to use. 
The designer of this table has a SP10 mk 3 and used the mk 3 as the reference when designing the GAE and  I can hear it when I directly compare  the two tables.

The Japanese are more about tradition and functional elegance than style for the sake of style. It is interesting when I read the comments about the styling of the table, as a watch guy I've read statements by other WIS (watch idiot savants :) folks concerning the Grand Seiko line.
Like I say about my watches, if you know, you know. Ask most people to name a fine time piece and all they can do is name several watch companies that have  huge marketing budgets and generally swap the same movements over and over again between casings. 

This table is the real deal and it is for people in my opinion who want stellar playback, a high level of functionality and are not concerned if it looks like its forerunner of the same name.

Truth be told its really a SP10 mk 2.5.
I love the fact  that I can easily and repeatedly adjust the vta, vtf, antiskate, that it has a built in cue light..,etc.

Fortunately for us there are a great number of tables out there for individuals to choose from.

I find this to be one of the best I've heard and that includes some very rare air tables indeed.