Bob Burwen imparts his knowledge

I wish I would post this in multiple topics, but I doubt that will be well received.

http://burwenbobcat.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/SOUND-IMPROVEMENT-REAL-IMAGINED-OR-FRAU...

Your thoughts?
cdwallace3
High level, its one in the same. Coloration is a deviation from a desired response. Equalization "corrects" it, or brings the frequency back to the desired response. Yes, it has its complexities and intentionally oversimplifying it,  but it ultimately is a just that. A deviation from a desired response.

The less ambiguous the explanation, the less subjectivity you have....which will quickly over-complicate the conversation.
" Coloration is a deviation from a desired response. "

This is a very simplistic view because coloration can be caused by many things other than just a simple deviation from FR. For example we have THD which can be perceived in a music reproduction system as coloration but it is something other than just a FR deviation or anomaly. In an analog-based system we can have minor speed errors that may not detectable as such but which are interpreted by the ear/brain interface as "coloration" in the music reproduction system. So to Mr. Burwen's claim that we just need an equalizer to insure proper performance - that's simplistic to the point of being just wrong.
@clearthink Having not spoken to Burwen directly, I would...assume...his thought process was beyond the point of system building. We know to select equipment with ultra-low harmonic distortion (in theory). I agree with your point regarding speed error. However, you'll probably encounter these situations in 1 out of 40-50 system configurations...very rough estimate. The vast majority of systems - correlating to his claim - could yield improved performance with equalization. I would argue equalization won't be the end all be all for every system...equalization isn't wrong because it's not a one size fits all solution for every system configuration....but it IS far too often overlooked - most times intentionally for a number of "audiophile purist" reasons - that will make a big difference in overall performance.
clearthink...

" Coloration is a deviation from a desired response. "

I would go even further...

" Coloration is a deviation from what was recorded." 

So how does one know exactly what the original track "should" sound like - since the sound engineer can "adjust" the final product to their will.

My approach - I have played several instruments over the years, to the point where their sound has become "ingrained" in my brain.

What if you have never played a musical instrument?
- seek out some live performances
- try to listen to a soloist
- Orchestral performances in small venues are good if not amplified

Has my system ever reproduced what was recorded - I would never be so bold as to make that claim, but it seems close enough to allow me to appreciate the more subtle nuances of the music and the venue.

WRT...
So to Mr. Burwen's claim that we just need an equalizer to insure proper performance - that's simplistic to the point of being just wrong
I have to agree in this case - he's dumb'd it down to make a point

As fore the statement from cdwallace3
.but it IS far too often overlooked - most times intentionally for a number of "audiophile purist" reasons
I guess I can see this point to some extent...you've read it right here on this forum - a person that is looking  for
-  a warmer sounding speaker 
- a speaker with a more dominant mid or high end
- a cable that will improve a specific frequency range

They may spend $$$ to replace a component, cable or speakers when an EQ might just do the job.

Having said that, I believe all electronic components colour the sound  - so introducing yet another component into the audio path, simply to augment a frequency range is not something I'd consider to be the best approach.

Not to mention the cost of all the additional cables.

Regards...

@williewonka In this example, you wouldn’t use a music track to testing purposes. You’d use 20-20KHz white noise. Essentially, you’d have to. Every recording is going to carry some sort of "signature" or coloration, if you will. That is you’re going to measure your system with the intent of the flattest response you can get. That’s kind of the fork in the road: You build your system to reproduce the flattest response it can and the tweak to your liking, or build your system to give you what you want with no regard to measured accuracy. Its like salt on your food. Some like it a lot, other are very sensitive to it and don’t want any.

I agree with you. The more components in the signal, the higher the chance of coloration. Component matching can be critical once you reach a certain performance level.