Best speakers under $500? Fire away!

Looking for suggestions for budget speakers under $500.  Can be floor or bookshelf.  
Let's hear the suggestions for the experts out there!

Thank you
34dean
I would suggest that you consider improving your power first, which will open up many more choices on speakers.  Much of the high-end stuff we talk about here is fairly inefficient.

My recommendation would be to look for an amp that can push 100 watts per channel minimum, and use your NAD as a preamp (I'm pretty sure you have pre-outs) so you don't lose your investment.

Once that's done, if you're willing to look at pre-owned gear, have a listen on a pair of Dahlquist DQ10s.  They can be had for under $500 a set in excellent condition, are easily maintained and are still to this day considered a terrific value.  They are, however, highly inefficient.  ;-(

I bought a pair of concentric tweeter KEF Q10s for near field monitoring years ago and they still work swimmingly. I assume they still make a cheap version of these. 
Going with the ELAC Debut B6's to start.  Thank you all for your terrific input.  
xyobgyn:

"B&W Matrix 805 used

Used is about $500, and will retain that value for some time. Remarkably hard to beat for $500"

The only ones I've seen for sale recently ran $795 unless they were seriously damaged. There's a pair without tweeters for $395 on eBay, $749 for a pair in which two front clips on tweeter housings were broken and glued back on.

There was a pair on Audiogon for $795 IIRC a week or two back. I guess they sold for that amount, as I no longer see them when I search. There's even a guy who's had a pair for $995 on US Audio Mart since September.

If you have a pair you'd like to sell for $500, xyobgyn, please let me know.
I have as surround a pair of def tech sm 45, just do some research on them, they are very very good