Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
O-10:

You are wasting time trying to reason with The Wikiman.   My Grandmother, bless her heart, used to always say,"there is such a thing as too much education".  Or maybe 'education' that was not properly understood.

This man puts his faith in wiki writers, when as a pro, he should know better.

Maybe if I posted a few 'authoritative' clippings from Castro's newspaper he would get the point.   

All this reminds me of Hank Arron and Babe Ruth.   Ruth the greatest player of all time.   Hit 714 home runs.  WOW!!    The along comes Arron.  As he closed in on the Babe, the media was going crazy.   Will he, can he??

The day after Arron broke the Babe, for the first time in my life I begin to hear the media talk about a Japanese player, last name was OH.  He had 900 or some such number of home runs in the Japanese leagues.

WTF???   Who the hell, is OH?   Where did he come from?   Well, according to the 'authoritative media', he is actually the REAL home run king of pro baseball.

Moral:   It can be ANYONE except black Americans.   This was very important to a large number of people of that era.  Can't be over stated.

Back in the 20's when white folks claimed they created Jazz, there was no mention of Africa then.

If every thing that has happened in Jazz.   I mean EVERYTHING had happened just as it did, down to each note ever played, with one exception:   All the people were white, we would not be having any talk of Africa.   The racists view is that we carry everything around in our genes.

If the wiki site goes down, The Wiki-man will be speechless and thoughtless.

Cheers

Rok, your post hit the nail dead on the head; there is nothing I can add or subtract.

"I just thank God it's all over," said Aaron, who endured months of media interviews, near-constant scrutiny, and death threats and hate mail. He had hired a bodyguard, needed to find temporary living quarters in Atlanta, and registered under a false name at hotels on the road.

Although I have never been into any kind of music other than jazz, Chuck Berry has been with me all my life; or every since school when all the other kids were into Rock and Roll, which meant Chuck Berry's "Maybellene".

I recall sneaking into the back door of the "Cosmopolitan", when I was 16, which was a club in E. St. Louis he played often. The only thing I remember is "women", all shapes and colors; where ever there was Chuck Berry, there was women.

While Chuck Berry traveled all over the world, St. Louis was his home, and he always came back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opG44Eqea6g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1eI4EH-DRg

When somebody like Chuck Berry dies, a person doesn't realize how much Chuck Berry was a part of that person's (my) life as he aged through the years; my eyes are filled with tears now, but I know we shall meet again in a better place.
Chuck Berry:

King of the music that was young and fun.  Teenage romance and big, fast, over the top American cars.   I will always be thankful I was young during those days.

Of course this was before the drug-addicted, angry,  anti-romance stuff called 'Rock' came along.   Rock is to Rock & Roll, what some of this current so-called Jazz, is to  real Jazz.

Great Loss.

Cheers