Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

"I just thank God it's all over," said Aaron, who endured months of media interviews, near-constant scrutiny, and death threats and hate mail. He had hired a bodyguard, needed to find temporary living quarters in Atlanta, and registered under a false name at hotels on the road.

Although I have never been into any kind of music other than jazz, Chuck Berry has been with me all my life; or every since school when all the other kids were into Rock and Roll, which meant Chuck Berry's "Maybellene".

I recall sneaking into the back door of the "Cosmopolitan", when I was 16, which was a club in E. St. Louis he played often. The only thing I remember is "women", all shapes and colors; where ever there was Chuck Berry, there was women.

While Chuck Berry traveled all over the world, St. Louis was his home, and he always came back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opG44Eqea6g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1eI4EH-DRg

When somebody like Chuck Berry dies, a person doesn't realize how much Chuck Berry was a part of that person's (my) life as he aged through the years; my eyes are filled with tears now, but I know we shall meet again in a better place.
Chuck Berry:

King of the music that was young and fun.  Teenage romance and big, fast, over the top American cars.   I will always be thankful I was young during those days.

Of course this was before the drug-addicted, angry,  anti-romance stuff called 'Rock' came along.   Rock is to Rock & Roll, what some of this current so-called Jazz, is to  real Jazz.

Great Loss.

Cheers
You guys can go ahead and keep living in your fantasy worlds as concerns the history of this music; too bad. Now, to some of the more personal stuff; and, I bring this up only to point out how convoluted and disingenuous your chains of thought and reasoning tend to be. In order to illustrate what I am talking about lets look at some facts; all verifiable. Shall we?

For four years, and multiple times, Rok, you have quoted and/or linked to Wiki. You, O-10, not only did the same (and still do), but did so in a manner that often made it seem like you were the author of the comments. What your real intentions were don’t really concern me. I pointed out that when quoting Wiki it was appropriate to disclose this. After considerable indignation and sarcasm you stated that going forward you would disclose the source of your comments if they weren’t your own thoughts. Over the course of the same four years, NOT ONCE, did I quote or link to Wiki. Now, fast forward to the present:

I made TWO recent references to Wiki for the first time ever, and AS I POINTED OUT in one post, these were two (!) Wiki articles that I felt had merit. What happens? You guys, since you have little of substance to say on the core topic, attack me for the use of Wiki. Now, THAT makes a lot of sense, no? Given the aforementioned and the sheer amount of informed opinion that disputes your positions there can only be two possible reasons as to why you behave this way as far as I am concerned: it’s all a big put-on on your parts, or there is some kind of deficiency in the ability to reason and process information. Still waiting for thoughts on the clips of comments that I posted and most recent article (not Wiki, btw 😅)

I found that article to be quite informative, saw nothing that could be considered as lie or perhaps someone's agenda?
Correct me if I am wrong?
Just a thought, I believe that nobody thinks that 'bop' or any other art form 'came out of the blue' ?
Or do you?