Capacitor rolling.

My son is getting to the Audio World.  Bought a Vincent Hybrid Pre-Amp and Vincent Hybrid Amp.

Both us MKP Film caps on each signal line-out paths. He wants a little more warm from the/voice- strings

Audio Note offers  some of their Caps for those Cap rollers. In Silver/Gold./ Cooper &Alum foil.

Very pricey compared to MKP caps. 7 times+

By the way MKP is widely used by many high-end electronic audio gear Mfg because of their very-very neutral sound & fast transits. Has anyone in this forum  have any feed back on CAP rolling? And Audio Note Caps??

Trust Me signal path Cap rolling can produce more changes than Tube rolling does in some cases..

tubes444
Good discussion here and as expected different choices of capacitors preferred depending on the particular poster’s taste. Some like to use the term "neutral " and others such as myself use/prefer the term "natural", semantics. Natural is what I seek, in other words,  organic and realism. I’ve had the opportunity to use some exceptionally high quality capacitors. Just my opinion based on listening and acknowledging my opinion is no more or less credible than anyone else.

1.Duelund CAST copper foil.
1a.Jupiter copper foil.
2. V cap tin foil and Teflon.
3. Sonicap Platinum.

This is simply my preference based on perceived natural character. In my opinion all of these capacitors have an innate sonic signature which is unavoidable. Absolute neutrality doesn’t exist. We all choose what we believe best suits our own objective and listening criteria, as it should be.

I won’t argue over what’s the "absolute " best as this is pointless and unprovable. I accept that this is purely subjective by its very nature. One man’s neutral is another one’s thin . One man’s natural is another one’s rich. The debate goes on into eternity. Trust your own ears and you’ll be fine. Accept the fact that others will disagree with you, that’s okay.
Charles

Terry9

Offering the Teflon is not surprising as ARC has now incorporated

Teflon caps in there entire Amp line. If I recall there's EXT break in time

on these some 500 to 600 hrs?  I tried  Styrene  cps years back. 1.2uf

very warm highs, little thin on the bass if I recall. different App although.

I have been looking further into DUELAND's>  case copper as suggested by Charles 1dad. Are they without air gaps?.

Tubes, I have been told that some offerings, which I don’t like, require hundreds of hours of break-in before being listenable. I won’t subject myself to that. Then there’s the sneaking suspicion that one is simply adapting and learning to accept an inferior sound.

I have tried both RelCap and Solen teflon f&f caps, and find them to sound similar, for values ranging from 0.022 to 0.82 uF. I tested them in a break-out box beside comparably valued RTX, and found the teflon caps to be a bit bright, RTX neither bright nor warm. The best teflon caps I have heard where made of monolithic copper and skived teflon tape, a DIY project.

None approached air-gap capacitors - by which I mean, metal plates separated by air, no other dielectric. They are hard to find, large, and rarely above 2000pF, but they are the gold standard. Air-gap and vacuum. Surplus Sales of Nebraska sells them, both variable and fixed. For that matter, you can make your own.

But once you hear them! In fact, it may take you an hour to take in and understand all the distortion that you’re not hearing. Which is why I use them when I can.

Another vote for Duelund’s Cast Copper PIO, a couple values of which Parts Connexion currently has on sale: (http://www.partsconnexion.com/duelc-specials.html?utm_source=getresponse&utm_medium=email&ut...) The Cast Silver maybe more transparent, but I couldn’t afford that show’s entry fee.  Swapping the 10uF Solen caps in my B+ circuits, for Clarity's 630VDC  MR Series,  cleaned things up even further.
The easiest way to find the most transparent coupling cap.

To all the cap rollers, use a dac or cdp or preamp that has direct coupled output, and then install each of the caps being rolled here to capacitor couple that dac or cdp or preamp. Then see which one sound the closest to no cap (direct coupled), and then you'll have your best cap.

Cheers George