Vintage DD turntables. Are we living dangerously?

I have just acquired a 32 year old JVC/Victor TT-101 DD turntable after having its lesser brother, the TT-81 for the last year.
TT-101
This is one of the great DD designs made at a time when the giant Japanese electronics companies like Technics, Denon, JVC/Victor and Pioneer could pour millions of dollars into 'flagship' models to 'enhance' their lower range models which often sold in the millions.
Because of their complexity however.......if they malfunction.....parts are 'unobtanium'....and they often cannot be repaired.
128x128halcro
Peter, You seem to have taken a very different tack with the DN308 as compared to the DP80, in terms of the design philosophy behind the two very different plinths.  The DN308 plinth seems to have a hollow interior, whereas the DP80 plinth (from photos I have seen elsewhere on your site) seems to have been built from layers of precisely machined wood such that the only available empty space is tightly fitted to the electronics and the mechanicals of the DP80.  I actually prefer this latter approach.  Can you comment? Thanks.
Lewm,

Reason being that the DN308 is a very large machine, overall dimensions are 23.5W x 18.5D x 9.5T weight is 140 lbs.   I did toy around with the layered wood approach it just became too big IMO.   Its a VERY substantial machine as is both Top and Bottom are made from 1" thick T6061 tool plate. Arm boards are replaceable - however because if its size, the platter is 14" Diameter, only 12" arms are useable, the 14" Kozma 4 point can also be incorporated, have been on one and another with 2 each of the Kuzma's are being discussed with a potential customer.   

I'm making a plinth for the DP80 also using the design of the big Brother the DN308 with a 1" thick T6061 Aluminum tool plate on top but a HDF bottom incorporated into the hardwood frame. This will be the GrooveMaster Vintage Direct DP80 Professional. 

Good Listening

Peter
Thanks Peter but I can't afford one. Besides I have an SP-10 MKIII that I really love as well as about five more models I am in the process of rebuilding myself.

Robt.
Thanks, Peter.  I will look forward to seeing photos of the DP80 mechanicals in the DN308-type plinth.
https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/6431

Pictures of the GrooveMaster Vintage Direct DP80 Professional uploaded to the virtual system

Specs as follows

Dims 19.25” W x 15.25” D by 7.75” H (to top of platter)Weight Apx 55 LbsSpeeds 33.333 and 45.000 RPM @ 0.002%Bi Directional Servo Speed Control System 2” Ball Bearing Vibration Control FootersUp to 2 10” tonearms can be mounted

Good Listening

Peter