Amps from the 1980's -- What gear holds up sonically? Reliably?

Hi Everyone,

For me, the 1980s were a real "golden age" of amplifiers. Dr. Leach’s paper on building a low TIM amplifier had been widely distributed and relied on by budding designers, and lots of boutique brands came. It was also the era of the biggest of the Conrad Johsnon tube amps as well and the invention of the MOSFET.

For me, brands I cared about:

• Threshold
  • Sumo
  • Perreaux (New Zealand, very pretty)
  • Tandberg
  • Hitachi
  • Kyocera
  • Nikko
  • Krell (of course)
  • CJ
  • ARC
  • Yamaha (professional)
  • Carver
  • Mark Levinson
  • Amber 
  • Tandberg
This was also the speaker era of Snell and Apogee and Martin Logan. I am not sure there would be a Krell today if it wasn't for Apogee's 1 ohm speakers.

I’m curious who is still listening to these vintage pieces, and which brands you think have stood up both in terms of reliability and / or sonics ?
erik_squires
the 80s kyocera gear was extremely well built--they aspired to be the japanese mcintosh. their separates are comparatively rare and pricey, but their receivers (r851, r861) are ubiquitous, cheap and great-sounding.
A bit surprised no one has mentioned Belles.  I have an original Belles Research Model 1 purchased new in 1985 that sounds just as terrific now as it did then.  No repair or service required, even after a number of cross-country moves.  Detailed, quiet, clean & musical.  A winner all around, IMO.

FWIW, I purchased it through Gala Sound (Jim Gala).  For those of you who know Upstate NY, that might bring back a few memories.
Still using an 1988 Audio Research D125 (125WPC 6550's) fronted by a 1968 Mcintosh MX-110Z on a daily basis. MX all stock except preamp tubes (50's RCA); D125 recap'd PS with regular tube changes.
Here's a vote for the amp that I believe is the cream of the crop from the 80's...the ARC D70Mk2. This amp along with the more powerful ( but slightly less resolving..particularly in the crucial midband) D115 and the great M100's exemplify for me the golden age of ARC.

Hahaha, well in case anyone was hoping the drama would start in this thread, I guess it will be me. :)

In the 1980’s the CJ had me body and soul compared to ARC.

However in the 21st century, I’d rather have ARC.  This is partly because my tastes have gone away from euphonic and partly because ARC has gone more towards it.

Best,

E