If you had to choose between Okki-Nokki and Pro-Ject record cleaners....

Hi all,

I am going to return my sub-woofer to the hifi store where I bought it... after repeated A/B comparisons with and without, I find that I just don't need it.

So I am going to ask for store credit.   Depending on how much credit I get, I might get a better record cleaner than the Spin-Clean that I have now.      The store carries the Okki-Nokki and Pro-Ject machines, so I wanted to ask what you all thought about the differences (if any) between the two.

I am not really satisfied with the Spin-Clean.    I have tried various fluids, also just used distilled water alone, and used various iterations of number of forward and backward rotations.... everything I have read to do in the various Spin-Clean-related threads.      It gets my records cleaner, but not totally clean.   I still get a lot of pops and crackles.

I keep the records in anti-static inner sleeves after I clean them, and I use a Milty Zero-Stat using all the various methods described in the Zero-Stat-related threads, before playing and after cleaning.    Still the pops and crackles, even with my brand-new Janos Starker Bach Cello Suites record (although not as much as with my older records), even after cleaning.

So I am hoping that a better cleaning method will eliminate the pops and crackels and since the local store only carries those two machines, I wanted to check and see if anybody has experiences with either, or both.

If neither machine will be an excellent solution, I will probably use my store credit on something else and keep looking for a better method to clean thoroughly my records.

For the record, my system is:

Music-Hall MMF-5.3 turntable with Ortofon Blue cartridge and Herbie's TT mat
Music-Hall a15.3 integrated amplifier
Bowers & Wilkins 686 S2 speakers

Thanks in advance for your time and advice,

Eric Zwicky
Richmond VA

ezwicky

Hi Erik. It's a 56 panhead (slightly modified HAHAHA)

I went up to the Clear Audio Double Matrix Pro Sonic. It is a fabulous RCM, with a price tag to match!!! I am primarily a vinyl listener, and my collection is quite valuable to me, so the cost of the Clear Audio was justified as I deem it to be a good maintenance tool to ensure long/clean/quiet life to my precious albums

Eric,

If you haven't seen it, this record cleaning method might be the ultimate:

http://positive-feedback.com/audio-discourse/rushton-paul-diy-approach-ultrasonic-cleaning-lps/

It's based on a DIY ultrasonic cleaning method developed by Harry Weisfeld of VPI.  The good news is that the recommended ultrasonic machine and record spinner aren't very expensive - only $200 or so each.  And a record vacuuming machine is an integral part of the method, so you can build your way to it starting with the Okki-Nokki and pick up the other pieces later.  Reviews of the method say it gets close to master tape quality from LPs.  Weisfeld says:

Just remember one thing guys, my basement has two USC machines lying there dead with a total retail price of almost $10K. My Chinese USC for $179.99 has cleaned over 3000 records and is still going strong with its Spin-Klean still working perfectly and 1 micron fish filter for $100.00

Group,

I make my own record cleaner using the formula from the 1996 Stereophile.  The cost is next to nothing, I make it a gallon at a time and my records are all spotless and silent.  I clean at every play.

I have shared this formula with hundreds of audiophiles all over the world and have dozens and dozens of emails from those who agree it's the best thing they have ever used.  I try and mention this every time I see someone inquire about cleaning fluids.

Email me.   n at normansizemore dot com and I will send you the reprint.  

Norman

I still use my trusty Discwasher with distilled water. Cleaning fluid builds up and makes you think your choice is wrong.
I highly recommend the Pro-ject VC-S RCM for $500. Ive had mine for just over a year and its great, compared to a VPI 16.5 and to me it was a no brainer to get the Pro-ject. You can get it from Music Direct for $499 with no tax and free shipping.