Thiel Owners

Guys-

I just scored a sweet pair of CS 2.4SE loudspeakers. Anyone else currently or previously owned this model?
Owners of the CS 2.4 or CS 2.7 are free to chime in as well. Thiel are excellent w/ both tubed or solid-state gear!

Keep me posted & Happy Listening!
jafant
Did anyone here notice that nice pair of Thiel 2.7s in ebony on audiogon a few days ago?

I bought them!

(Sorry to anyone who was bidding, I know it sucks to not get an item).

When I first joined the forum it was right after Thiel stopped production of Jim’s designs and I was tormented as to whether to buy a second hand pair of 2.7s or 3.7s. At that time, due to hemming and hawing too long, I lost out on the most gorgeous ebony pair of 2.7s - probably the nicest looking speakers I’d seen, with a finish that is a perfect match for my room.

I ended up with the 3.7s in a gorgeous Morado and as I’ve expressed here, they sound extraordinary but because it’s a living room that also shares duty as a home theater as well, and home theater speakers are already taking up a lot of space, the larger Thiels have to be placed in a non-ergonomic part of the room. If I can downsize at all I can help that issue, as well as the aesthetics of all those speakers in a smaller room. I’ve continued to demo quite a number of possible downsizing speaker replacements...but the Thiel 3.7s are too good for the money and hard to beat sonically.

Seeing this incredibly rare pair of 2.7s come up in the ebony finish I’d lusted over before was something I couldn’t resist. I have to give these a whirl - see if I can keep a good helping of the Thiel sound I love, but allowing a bit of downsizing (even a bit can help out).

I’ve read the very few comparisons on here between the 2.7 and the 3.7 and all come out in favor of the 3.7, so I’m going to go in presuming this will be the case. I’m spoiled by the scale of sound put on by the 3.7 and that may be tough to overcome. Though I’ve also heard from some others who preferred the 2.7 (some say they actually like the 2.7 midrange a bit better).

So, this will be fun, to compare the two. And as a heads up for Thiel lovers: once I’ve decided between keeping the 2.7 or 3.7, one of them will be up for sale after!

Nice score! prof-

you are going to be pleasantly surprised by the CS 2.7 as it is no slouch.
I look forward in reading about your impressions, thoughts and comparisons versus the CS 3.7 model.  Happy Listening!
Prof, I was watching those 2.7s, but I did not bid. I have been very curious whether either the 2.7s or 3.7s would be worth the expense to replace my reliable 3.6s. I will be interested to hear your thoughts on comparing the 2.7s with the 3.7s.