Thiel Owners

Guys-

I just scored a sweet pair of CS 2.4SE loudspeakers. Anyone else currently or previously owned this model?
Owners of the CS 2.4 or CS 2.7 are free to chime in as well. Thiel are excellent w/ both tubed or solid-state gear!

Keep me posted & Happy Listening!
jafant
I was just thinking yesterday "Now I see why some people get into DIY."
That way you can attempt to build speakers that do the things you are looking for. If you have the talent, time and persistence (which I don’t...I have zero interest in DIY).

As for sub/monitor combos, I’m pretty much allergic to subwoofers - heard the combos in many set ups, including my own. No matter how many times I hear someone claim "it’s a seamless match" I immediately hear the sub and it annoys me. (The best blend I ever heard was actually a combo I owned: Quad ESL 63s that attached to Gradient subwoofers, specially designed to match the dipole radiation of the Quads. But that was a very room dominating system, like big, black room dividers).

It’s possible if I had enough time and resources on my hands I could end up with a subwoofer that mated well enough with some monitors, but it’s a no-go for my room. I’ve tried my best to make the technology invisible in the room (even my home theater speakers are covered in black velvet, against a black velvet screen wall). Subs would mean doubling the amount of speakers put in the room, when I’m looking to reduce (and I would not have the flexibility of placement options necessary to optimize the subs to blend them with stand mount speakers).

The problem is the Thiel 3.7s must be placed well into the room, where I like most of my speakers, for best sound and also to allow traffic into the room. The right speaker sits essentially blocking 1/2 the room entrance and if you saw a picture, you’d understand immediately why I’m trying to find a smaller speaker solution. Any inches I shave off the depth/height of the speaker helps.

I do think it’s possible smaller floor standers could satisfy me for several reasons. One is that they obviously help solve my aesthetics/ergonomics problem. Two, the 3.7s aren’t bass monsters to begin with. They are rated only down to 33Hz, yet I find this adequate to satisfy. The Joseph Perspectives, for instance, are similarly rated despite being much smaller and I found them generally satisfying in bass depth. Imaging was also terrific as well, though falling a bit short of the imaging size and precision of the Thiels.

The auditioning I had of the JM Reynaud monitors left me intrigued, but I have to say I really don’t care for their looks, especially their selection of wood finishes, so that’s a bit of a hurdle.

And on that aesthetic note: as I mentioned I have a pair of beautiful Harbeth speakers in Rosewood that I'm currently selling in another web site.  I figured that the Harbeths, being smaller and more traditional looking than the Thiel 3.7s would be an easier sell for her.  But she surprised me, saying she much preferred the look of the big Thiels in the room.  I find she's right: the room has a contemporary decor and the more modern, sleeker lines of the Thiels actually blend in better.   Hence...promise for the 2.7s.

I should have the Thiel 2.7s in house sometime after next weekend.

As a 2.7 owner, I don't think you will be missing much as compared to the 3.7. I never heard the 3.7, but I find the bass satisfying. Actually, when I auditioned them I was very surprised by the bass, much better than I expected. (Although I do use a smartsub, to be honest you would never know it was there.)

robinbarour,

Thanks....though your comments on the 2.7  bass sounded promising...right up until you mentioned you use a sub with them.  It's no wonder you find the bass satisfying  ;-)

BTW,

Auditioned the Raidho C 1.2 monitors today.  They would normally be prohibitively expensive but a dealer has a great demo pair deal so I gave them a listen.

Very nice high end frequencies in terms of smoothness combined with subtle detail - open, lifelike, while not too bright (generally).  Bass quite surprisingly big and impactful from a monitor.   Decent soundstaging.

But...didn't care for them over all.  Tonally I found them somewhat bleached and bland.  They also sounded somewhat sculpted (as they actually are) with a BBC-like dip, which made lots of vocals and orchestral music sound naturally smooth, but showed up as a more obvious tonal and dynamic reticence elsewhere: for instance drum snares, rim shots I knew to have excellent presence in other more neutral speakers like the Thiels were dulled and made more distant.  Acoustic guitar finger picking  attack was made too polite - one classical guitar piece by John Williams which has shows tons of effort and energy on the Thiels and some other speakers sounded weakened and far less exciting on the Raidhos.  Also, even when there's significant (apparent) bass extension there's something about a small monitor trying to sound big that I never quite buy. 

Once I got home and played all the same tracks on the 3.7s I was amazed by how much better I thought the whole presentation was - clarity, organic quality, control, imaging, dynamics...just everything seemed better.  Played the same John Williams guitar track and it simply sounded more like a real guitar in front of me, being played enthusiastically.  It seems to me Jim Thiel didn't have to sculpt the frequency range to make for smooth sound - the 3.7s just are smooth, yet full and exciting at the same time.