Thiel Owners

Guys-

I just scored a sweet pair of CS 2.4SE loudspeakers. Anyone else currently or previously owned this model?
Owners of the CS 2.4 or CS 2.7 are free to chime in as well. Thiel are excellent w/ both tubed or solid-state gear!

Keep me posted & Happy Listening!
jafant
Post removed 
Is it my imagination...or are there no speaker cables or amplification in that set up?

What is Jafant powering the speaker with? 
Prof...

I've also been able to enjoy my Thiels and a fair number of Maggies (MMG's, MGIIIa's, .7's, and 1.7's) as well with "modest" amplifiers in the past and..."power hungry" though their reputations may be, one can certainly enjoy any of the aforementioned models with relatively modest amps. 

My first experience with Maggies was with a Cayin A50T tube integrated pushing 35 watts in triode. That was truly a "wow" event for me. Shortly after that I used the same amp with my first pair of Thiel, 2.2's, with the same result, only that from then on Thiel became my favorite/preferred/reference. 

I took no small amount of satisfaction learning from here that Jim Thiel was fond of planar speakers as well, which kind of substantiated my oft-repeated phrase that Thiels are Maggies with mo' better bass. While the benefits of more power are certainly beneficial, one's listening level is more the determination for amplification. I'm not saying flea-watt power, but 50 watts and up can suffice.  I recently had a Threshold A100 (?) with power meters that I thought were inoperable.  Turns out I never threw enough juice to my speakers to have the meters register!

unsound and a few others in this thread have offered prudent advice concerning how to help Thiels show their best, all of which I've explored to various extents over the last few years. At the end of the day one's introduction to Thiel could be through a vintage Radio Shack receiver - and be hooked on Thiel for life. 

I went from 2.2 to 2.3 to two pairs of 3.5's to my current 3.6 because my first impression from the "lowly" 2.2 had been - to paraphrase Newman and Redford in Butch Cassidy - "who IS this guy???"  I had never before heard of Jim Thiel. (Mind you I had lapsed out of hifi for about 20 years before my prodigal return a few years ago. Damn you, Audiogon!)

I'm now using a Simaudio Neo 340i integrated capable of 200 watts per channel with the 3.6 and everything is peachy keen.

Basically speaking, for folks new to Thiel and/or this particular thread, "yes Virginia, it IS possible to discover the sonic excellence of Thiel with your current amp/receiver/separate" - but be forewarned that you've entered a space from which exiting is an exercise in futility. All ye who enter Audiogon should abandon all hope of ever believing what you have now is good enough for Thiel. 

Oy-vey!

Good to see you- prof,

I am in the process of working through a few pieces of gear. More to follow.

Happy Listening!