Thiel Owners

Guys-

I just scored a sweet pair of CS 2.4SE loudspeakers. Anyone else currently or previously owned this model?
Owners of the CS 2.4 or CS 2.7 are free to chime in as well. Thiel are excellent w/ both tubed or solid-state gear!

Keep me posted & Happy Listening!
jafant
Prof
Happy Day! Glad to see you are enjoying your delivery.
Glad you found the bass satisfactory and noted differences between the two. 
Just curious though - how is the tilt as compared to the 3.7?
robinarbour,

Do you mean how much have I tilted them? I haven’t tilted either the 3.7 or the 2.7. Simply set them down without spikes (I’ve tried spikes before and they didn’t make anything better about the sound). So they have whatever tilt is built into their shape.

I often experiment in terms of my head height when listening - sometimes sitting up, slouching, lying more reclined. Thus far I found the tonal balance changes a bit more with the 3.7 when doing so, vs the 2.7. There’s a slightly richer, more mellow balance the further I go below the 3.7 tweeter height. But the difference may be that the 3.7 tweeter starts out higher than the 2.7 given my listening position, so slouching in front of the less tall 2.7s means I’m still more in line with the 2.7 mid/tweeter, so the frequency balance doesn't change as much.

I’m going to get used to the 2.7 for a while longer and continue experimenting before I put the 3.7s back to compare.

Last night I spun some vinyl, Niel Young at Massey Hall. While it didn’t have quite the cavernous scale as on the 3.7s, there was a more solid sense of the performance, which made it remarkably realistic.

I think the very slightly more forward upper midrange - a more incisive leading edge - combined with the upper bass/lower mids density of the 2.7 (due to it’s different tuning for the smaller woofer) tends to give piano notes in particular a more solid presence. Pretty nifty stuff.

A very good report on the CS 2.7- prof.

Both CS 2.7 and 3.7 can go without the outriggers per the listener.

I look forward in reading about more thoughts / impressions as you massage these speakers into your system. Happy Listening!

I was thinking back to the times I auditioned the CS 2.4, 2.4SE, 2.7 and 3.7 models.  Ultimately, I chose the 2.4SE. I must say that it was a close race between the 2.4SE and 2.7.  To my ears, the 2.4SE won out based upon the facts of cabinet, cross-over, binding posts and included outriggers (necessary w/ the CS 1.6, 1.7 2.4 and 2.4SE).

The CS 2.7 offers the best in JT last designs. These are getting harder to find in the used/demo markets. It would be interesting to learn about the number of pairs built?  I concur, the Ebony finish is special.

Happy Listening!