Tekton Double Impact & Comb Filtering

Like many of you, I have been pondering purchasing these speakers but am very curious about the unusual tweeter array. I asked the smartest speaker person that I know (he is a student of Sean Olive) about the design and below is what he had to say.   

"In theory it could work, but the driver spacing means that the crossover point would need to be very low.
He is using the SB acoustics tweeter which is 72mm in diameter, center to center on the outside opposing drivers is around 5.7 inches, which is about 2400Hz. This means that combing would stop between 1/4 to 1/2 of the wavelength (between 1200-600Hz) is where the outside tweeters should start playing nice with each other.
Since he is not using low enough crossover points he has created a comb filtering monster. Now while it's not the great point source that was promised, it's no worse than most line arrays and the combing will average itself out given enough listening distance.

The MTM spacing on the other hand is ridiculous. Hopefully he is cutting the top end off on one of those midrange drivers to avoid combing."

seanheis1
After reading all these remarks about the Tekton speakers, I spent a good few minutes and browsed through their product line. On thing that stood out (for me) consistently across the board was the incredibly high efficiency/sensitivity rating of their speakers. Even accounting for the 4 ohm impedance rating  - less 3 dB as compared to 8 ohm, they are still rated in mid to high 90's dB/1w/1m - their largest tower model 1812 is 104dB. Someone used the word magic in crossover design and these values are pretty magical and might explain in part why these speakers sound the way they do. People might argue about how good they sound but there's no denying that a lot of thought and know how must have been put into the design of such crossovers. Many kudos to Eric.
I'm particularly intrigued by his OB open baffle model which doesn't seem to get much publicity. 
david_ten,

If you were referring to me as one of the two who said the DI's fell on their face. Well David, I didn't say that. I said they MAY have performed poorly. I also said I couldn't be sure as I didn't know all the details (facts) of that event. I'm failing to see your point here. So what if it is NOT a room set up by the manufacturer Tekton. So what If it is NOT a dealer set up for Tekton. (I don't believe Tekton has dealers as they are mail order, correct?) So what if the room was NOT set up solely for the display of the DI's. If I were going into that room as an educational tool for low cost systems I think I would have been highly disappointed to hear what they heard also. Considering the fact their was another system there that sounded very good. If it takes the manufacturer to be there to make sure the DI's sounded their best then why was Eric of Tekton not present??? At a trade show of that magnitude, SOMEBODY from Tekton should have been there. From what I read it sounded like there were plenty of speaker systems in the price range of the DI's that were proving their worth. Don't get me wrong, I will definitely sing the praises of the DI's or any other Tekton speaker for that matter, if it sounds truly musical to my ears. This is what I am talking about with some of you in defense of the "new baby."

Tim
Sean, if your intent was to post it as a question, then we all see the usefulness of it. Your post does not come across that way when you read it the whole thing. This is exactly what @charles1dad said earlier. I guess there is room for confusion in regards to intent.

I had wrongly assumed you were taking a cheap shot on the design as many others have here on the Gon and elsewhere. Sorry for that.  

I better understand you now and it is ceratinly a fair question to gain better clarity on. My other comments as to wether or not the individual actually tested and listened to the speakers holds. All speculation and sometimes a little knowledge is dangerous without all the facts:)

I’m sorry, M :) but the post wasn’t directed at you....

.....it was for future readers.

The performance of the DIs was mentioned twice with respect to the LA show. The post from the people whose room it actually was and who felt strongly enough to post on Audiogon, allows future readers to have context, when reading this thread.

I believe the post from Positive Feedback stands up to it’s own merits. Readers can decide for themselves, just as it appears you have.
I think us Tekton owners should stop replying to these threads. It's obvious that the true purpose of them is to bash these speakers, regardless of their performance. These folks were never going to try them. The old saying is true, "there are none so blind as those who will not see".