Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Both "Mingus Dynasty" and "Ah Um" were from his brief contract period with Columbia, most likely why sidemen are the same.  Of course Danny Richmond stayed with Mingus for years regardless of other changes.

Pryso, "Mingus Ah Um" had better recording quality than what is posted; how is the recording quality of your "Ming Dynasty"? What I'm hearing could just be a bad post.

I'm not a geek when it comes to recording quality, just fairly good is sufficient.

Traveling across the Sahara Desert in a caravan has always been one of my fantasies, going all the way back to my childhood, and sometimes I slip into them when I hear music involving camels and the desert.

Take the lyrics to "Caravan"

"Caravan"

Night and stars above that shine so bright
The myst'ry of their fading light
That shines upon our caravan

Sleep upon my shoulder as we creep
Across the sand so I may keep
The mem'ry of our caravan

This is so exciting
You are so inviting
Resting in my arms
As I thrill to the magic charms

Of you beside me here beneath the blue
My dream of love is coming true
Within our desert caravan!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTjPAjq8OMY

Can't you just picture yourself with this exotic creature in your arms while creeping across the desert in a caravan, (I don't know how that works, it's not exactly the same as a limo)

Then there is Hugh Masekela who sings about actually going across the desert in a caravan; so this is what it's really like; he's actually done this before, what an adventure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YJCDQ2i5ME

Can anybody chip in to help me on my journey across the desert?

Orpheus10, thank you, very dreamy. Both those bands desperately need Jessy Cook on the guitar.
Those ladies are much prettier than Mingus, I must say.
I'll try to find something.