Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Rest assured Dave, I am fully aware of my own many faults and foibles. And others reactions to them .
If you bothered to read what I said, that Ammons has a ton of talent but is not someone I would want to listen to all day , no reasonable person would consider that a put down hard or otherwise . Or come to the conclusion,from those few words., that I am oblivious to anything .
My conclusion on O-10 is the result of a thousand comments of that nature.and worse, by O-10. Often to people whose only goal is to help him .

I never make  a comment to anyone to hurt them but in the hope they will come to their senses , unlikely as that may be . I always pay attention and always have done so .

Being very familiar (unfortunately) with this kind of recent silly and pointless arguing I would like to, "for what it’s worth" (a comment that I will return to), offer some thoughts. While I realize some may question why I make an issue of this and jump into the fray, all I can say is that I honestly believe that if we could avoid that kind of silliness and instead try and understand what the other poster is saying or why he has a particular reaction to an artist we would all be better music listeners. Instead, posters argue and get indignant, throw around "opinions" with little basis in reality, puff their chests and eventually things calm down only to have the exact same thing happen again.

This thread is about music and with all the expressed feelings about the claimed sacrosanct "subjectivity" of music it seems to me that there should be some respect shown for why someone may or may not like an artist. Respect, in as much as remaining open to understanding the dissenting opinion. The catch, of course, is there has to be a willingness to, at least, try and explain that opinion; either in musical terms or in terms of personal emotional reaction. In other words, knowledge of the technical aspects of music is not absolutely necessary for this. The cynic and strict subjectivist may believe that knowledge is actually a disadvantage; nonsense, of course.

I happen to like Gene Ammons. I also can understand why some don’t like his style. A player with a tremendous amount of exuberance, huge robust sound, unique tone and hard swinging. He was actually a "gateway" player to the r&b tenor saxophone sound that was heard come out of every jukebox during the early rock and roll period. On the other hand his playing was rough around the edges, lacked refinement and he could not hold a candle to some one like Sonny Stitt in terms of command of harmony when playing harmonically complicated tunes; and his ballad playing lacked tenderness, imo. So, isn’t easy to see how someone might really like him and someone else might not?

Not meaning to "take sides", but for what it’s worth and as I see it: Schubert made a comment with the important qualifier "for what it’s worth" and expressed that he could listen to three particular artists all day. O-10, then states that Schubert’s list is incomplete and should include Ammons. So, now we have four artists that are worthy of being listened to all day.....I see. Schubert responds, acknowledges that Ammons had a lot of talent, but just doesn’t like him (much?). Oh no, we can’t have that! "I love Ammons, he is a giant, you are wrong in not liking him and, moreover, I couldn’t care less that you don’t like him.....so there!!!!" Aargh! Imo, THAT is when things took the unfortunate wrong turn and the silliness began. Personally, I saw nothing wrong with Schubert’s response.

We all purport to love music so much, but it seems to me are not always willing to pay it the respect that it deserves. It is an amazing art form and is serious business. Instead, it becomes a personal playground for patting ourselves on the back for how much we think we know or appreciate about it while only scratching the surface of its amazing depth and complexity. All this without enough sense of inquisitiveness, awe and humility about it all; it becomes about personal ego. Not digging deep enough, imo.

Not meaning to offend and, if it does, apologies to anyone concerned; but, I simply can’t let a couple of the "highlights" go by without some kind of response so as to make my above points. All, of course, imo:

**** I don’t listen to Classical music and yet.. I know when classical musician plays as it should be played. ****

Aaah, sure.....

**** Vaness Mae....she is Classical ****

Huh?!

Regards to all and here’s 🍷 to having thicker skins and digging a little deeper.

I actually like Gene Ammons myself , esp. when he dips into r&b much of what I consider folk music . Just not all day.

Telling a story is the heart and soul of jazz and as any great storyteller
will tell you , the only story you really have is your own .
The audience is moved by emotion and a player that has to think of what
he is doing technically may tell a story but it won’t be his own.

One of the biggest"A-ha" moments in my life took place at a Bob Hope Show in Vietnam . As a Platoon Sgt. I was one of the few allowed to carry
a weapon so I had to attend and keep the boys in line .
The usual parade of lame jokes and half-naked Hollywood starlets etc grinding it out etc went on for about 90 minutes to semi-obscene calls, grunts and clapping from the 5.000 troops in the audience .
Last act was a B-List Standards singer named Jack Jones, an established singer, but I’m sure not 50 people there had ever heard of him or the standards he sang .
He came out on stage and simply said, Hi, Fellas, I’m Jack Jones and I’d
like to sing a few songs for you .
He sang 3 standards , I don’t remember which, and as he walked off the stage 5, 000 troops sprang to their feet and as one gave him a TREMENDOUS roar , 3 times that any starlet got and it continued for a good 5 minutes !
This was well into the war and most of those troops were dredged out of the ghetto’s, rural south , Puerto Rico etc ,were poorly educated and drug use(hash)was epidemic .

Yet these lowest of the low knew what all humans instinctually know,
there is no substitute for authenticity .
Goes double in music as that is also instinctual .

o10, if anyone responded to Caravan with this I apologize, I don't take the time to read everything here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDbgLJt50ss

Regarding nicknames, I've always been amused but the "royalty" titles --
King, Duke, Pres, Count, etc.

Pryso, some people have the ability to have a pleasant positive conversation, while others don't; some people don't even know the subject of the conversation.

I want you to know that it has been a pleasure discussing various aspects of the jazz greats, and some of their idiosyncrasies as well; I find you extremely knowledgeable about our favorite artists.

Awhile back, I posted links to "Caravan" with what I thought was a humorous twist about actually going on a caravan.

After that I changed the subject to "nicknames" or monikers; Bingo!, you got it right both times, and responded intelligently.

Since it's a waste of time to go back over what has transpired, I wont.

No Pryso, no one else even responded to any one of the three links I put up on "Caravan".

That link you put up is one of the best "hard-bop" examples of the tune.

This is the line-up on that link.

Art Blakey - drums
Freddie Hubbard - trumpet
Curtis Fuller - trombone
Wayne Shorter - tenor saxophone
Cedar Walton - piano
Reggie Workman - bass

Those royalty titles are humorous when you think about them; King, Queen, Duke, Duchess....