Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Well played violins ? Apart from the fact they are not even violins, I doubt
these women could get a job in any orchestra in the world .

Beyond any doubt Pettiford was a great player and did a great job on "Stardust" .
For a bass . "Stardust " is one one of the most melodic of all the great American standards .  It’s not unknown to be played by Symphonic
Orchestras and played for what it is , a true masterpiece .
But if Pettifords version of it was the only version of it , it would not be a standard .

Schubert, I only use the violins to check the timbre of my speakers, and I doubt if you could get hired as a music critic.

Dave I checked out "Diana Krall", and I thought this was quite humorous;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahodHfBjIiQ&list=PL5WBcct1_UZVLJGG9NQc-5ZWt8hZOLSjE

The recording quality was good and her version of "Summertime" was new and refreshing; sounds worthy of a purchase.
o10, your comment "I've been listening to violin since I can remember, on the radio, the movies, and I'm qualified to judge by comparison." really amazed me.  Considering all the electronics any music passes through to be listened to with either of those sources the tonalities can be considerably affected.

For me, the only measure of tone accuracy is live, unamplified music.  That way all electronics are eliminated.  Unfortunately that experience becomes more and more difficult to find since most musicians and/or producers seem to feel sound amplification is necessary.  And that may be a function of the push for larger concert venues, where amplification may really be needed.

Considering our subject of jazz, I look for performances in smaller concerts (clubs, churches, etc.) seating hopefully less than about 200 and with all instrumentation strictly acoustic -- for true tonalities.  This to calibrate my ears, I certainly attend other venues to hear specific artists or music.
Hi o,

Humorous is fine. Glad you found it worthy of consideration for purchase.

I failed to thank ghosthouse for his kind words re: Bruce Katz "Transformation" and his accompanying excellent recommendations some time ago, so thank you ghosthouse!

Dave