Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
John Abercrombie was

Timeless

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogpfFkS37cw

(Suggested listening at night with all lights off, a wee dram doesn't hurt either!)

I can say one thing for certain, we have touched on everybody's base in regard to music that can be accepted by this thread.

While that's not my cup of tea, I hope whoever is getting their boat floated responds.

Music of this nature needs herbs that puts one's hearing in resonance with the music, that's why it sounded ever so delightful once upon a time in a far away galaxy. (that's where the combination put you)

I know yall remember them mosquito machines that rode around belching out horrible smoke that was supposed to rid the neighborhood of mosquito; they should have them to ride all over the world belching out good herb smoke once a week to put a smile on everybody's face.
Tried to find pryso's album/track of Abercrombie - Timeless on Tidal. Nope, not there. Becoming increasing frustrated with Tidal pushing sonic and social crap instead of music.

o, saw one of those mosquito trucks spewing, errr, "something" the other night around my neighborhood. Didn't detect the odor of the substance you elude to. Bummer.  ;) 

Dave
dl -
Here’s a link to Spotify for the album (3 Guitars) that has JA’s Timeless.
It’s the last track.

https://open.spotify.com/album/6G0dy3oudvTAHgdmX4XNSl

Hopefully Spotify’s SQ is adequate.

(it's possible you will have to be logged in to Spotify for the link to work...not certain).