Ohm Speakers, thoughts?

I have long dismissed Ohm speakers as anything that could be competitive in todays state of the art. But of course I want to believe that this "old" American company still has some horsepower left to compete with asian built speakers built by people that take in less money in a week than my dog sitter takes in the couple hours it takes to let my dogs out to crap when I am away for a day :)? The reviews I have read here and there report incredible imaging but what about other aspects of the Ohm 5 II. Any thoughts?
nanderson
Line: Stop reading and believing the propoganda put out by various manufacturers and start learning for yourself.

Pull your Ohm's apart and find out what you've really got once and for all. Once you find that out, maybe then you can tell us what the "special materials which have a super-sonic velocity of sound propagation" really are.

I'm not certain that i'm ready to hear or experience a "sonic boom" up close and personal. Sean
>
Sean, The term "super sonic" literally means faster then the speed of sound in "air". Sound travels faster in solids then it can in air. Therefore the sound wave traveling down the cone material of a Walsh driver, is at "super sonic" speeds. This is a scientific fact. How much faster the wave travels down the cone depends on the material being used to form the cone and the speed determines the angle of the cone. The correct angel lines up all the waves generated in the air to form a single coherent sound source, with no time-smear or time-delay distortion.

Sound travels at different speeds in different materials such as steel, plastic, water, air, etc. No, it does not create a sonic boom because there is nothing traveling in the air itself at "super sonic" speeds, the wave is traveling down the material. This is how the F's work and all speakers that work on Walsh's principal.
Line: I understand this and was joking. One of the basics of physics teaches how sound conducts through various materials, etc.... I'm sorry if my attempt at levity failed and / or was unclear. What i was attempting to do was to show how marketing can be used to manipulate one's point of view and understanding of a subject, let alone bamboozle one into thinking that they have something other than what they really do.

As to the drivers having a mechanical crossover, this is true. Due to the aforementioned differences in conductivity of materials, the rate of transfer between them will come into play. As i also mentioned, the flare rates on the Ohm A and F drivers themselves are different.

Like i said, look inside of the mesh can. There's a reason why these speakers are built in this fashion. After all, we all know that placing a grille in front of a driver changes the sound, so do you really think that placing all of the drivers behind a resonant metal screen would be of benefit to the sonics? Could it be that they simply want to keep something "secret"? Do you really think that there are no user serviceable parts inside? Sean
>
Where does German Physiks come into the discussion? can any comment on their version of the walsh driver. i have read that they are a great speaker however i've also read that the drivers were prone to warpage.
Here is a link to a description of the 'bending wave DDD driver'
http://www.german-physiks.com/NewFiles1/DDD.html