Ohm Speakers, thoughts?

I have long dismissed Ohm speakers as anything that could be competitive in todays state of the art. But of course I want to believe that this "old" American company still has some horsepower left to compete with asian built speakers built by people that take in less money in a week than my dog sitter takes in the couple hours it takes to let my dogs out to crap when I am away for a day :)? The reviews I have read here and there report incredible imaging but what about other aspects of the Ohm 5 II. Any thoughts?
nanderson
Line: I understand this and was joking. One of the basics of physics teaches how sound conducts through various materials, etc.... I'm sorry if my attempt at levity failed and / or was unclear. What i was attempting to do was to show how marketing can be used to manipulate one's point of view and understanding of a subject, let alone bamboozle one into thinking that they have something other than what they really do.

As to the drivers having a mechanical crossover, this is true. Due to the aforementioned differences in conductivity of materials, the rate of transfer between them will come into play. As i also mentioned, the flare rates on the Ohm A and F drivers themselves are different.

Like i said, look inside of the mesh can. There's a reason why these speakers are built in this fashion. After all, we all know that placing a grille in front of a driver changes the sound, so do you really think that placing all of the drivers behind a resonant metal screen would be of benefit to the sonics? Could it be that they simply want to keep something "secret"? Do you really think that there are no user serviceable parts inside? Sean
>
Where does German Physiks come into the discussion? can any comment on their version of the walsh driver. i have read that they are a great speaker however i've also read that the drivers were prone to warpage.
Here is a link to a description of the 'bending wave DDD driver'
http://www.german-physiks.com/NewFiles1/DDD.html
That post didn't look like a joke, so I did a little research too find out just how fast sound does travel in some of these materials and here is a little of what I found...>>

In general, sound travels fastest through solids, slightly less fast through
liquids, and slower through gases.

This is because the particles (atoms or molecules) in a solid are touching
each other and rather fixed together. That is why a solid is "solid." Since
the particles are bonded together, a sound wave moving one, immediately
transfers the motion the one touching it. A sound wave hitting one, is
almost immediately transferred to a neighbor.

In a liquid, the particles are touching each other, but they are not fastened
to each other quite so strongly as they are in a solid. Some of sound's
energy is wasted pushing the particles around because they can slide past
each other. Some of sound's energy is wasted that way and that is why it
moves slower.

In a gas, the molecules are rather far apart. For sound to travel through a
gas, the molecules must move quite a distance before they collide with other
molecules. Sound energy cannot move as quickly when the molecules are not in
contact with each other.

Here is another from a different site...>>

In air at room temperature, sound travels at about 340 metres per second. In water, sound travels about four times as fast as it does in air, while in steel, the speed of sound is about fifteen times as great as in air.

Here is one I found interesting,..Why do we sound like Donald Duck when we talk with helium...>>

We talk like Donald Duck because sound travels faster through helium and, in effect, shrinks our heads.

When we speak, the sound speeds from voice box to lips. Since sound travels faster in helium, the sound reaches our lips sooner with helium than air. It’s as if the path were shorter. The faster sound speed raises the resonant frequency of our vocal tracts. We, sort of, become Oz Munchkins with high squeaky voices.

Every pipe, from our vocal tracts to an empty Coke bottle, has a resonant frequency. Blow air across a bottle. The deep sound we hear is the bottle’s natural frequency in air. Fill the bottle with helium and blow across the top. Now, sound travels faster and the tone sounds higher. The resonant frequency of a tube depends on the length of the tube and the speed of sound through it. The faster the sound speed, the higher the frequency.

Well anyways, I bought my first pr. of Ohm speakers from a big box store called ABC Wharehouse purely on what I was hearing out of them, and at that time I did not know what was going on under that can, just liked what I was hearing.

Some 15 years latter, I started hearing something that I should not be hearing out of one of them, so I opened it up and found the surround tore and replaced it with a new one. I left the can free so I could slip it on or off any time I wanted to. "And yes, I always wondered what they would sound like with the can off." So, many times I would listen for a different in sound between the can off and on, and I could 'not' here any difference.

The driver is not a mass projection driver; this is very apparent when it is looked at. They look hand built, and I believe they are. This tells me that this driver is NOT ordinary. No; I can not know what is going with this driver by looking at it. The cone is some sort of plastic, the magnets look massive, and the can is essential to protect some kind of (what I believe to be) some kind of sound absorbing material that is placed is certain places. The driver is not pretty, in fact, I think it is ugly, but it can't be seen anyways.

I don't have the XO's anymore because I upgraded too the Walsh 5 Mk-2 drivers and mounted the on the original trapezoid cabinets. I do not know what the new divers looks like with the can removed.

Now Ohm does have models that are box speakers, and I would bet that the drivers in them are production speakers, (not hand built).

Sean, I have a question for you...Do the F drivers have a spider? I think that they would have to.
http://fullrangedriver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=6485

If you read this thread, you'll find someone else commenting on the type of drivers used in newer production "Walsh" series. For the record, i never posted to this thread in any way, shape or form, even if one of the participants shares the same name.

As a side note, there's a "funny" story pertaining to the design motivations behind Decware's "Radial" speaker mentioned in this same thread.

John, the owner of Van L Speakerworks ( aka Chicago Speakerworks ) had previously verified to me that newer "Walsh series" used conventional design woofers firing face down into the cabinet. He has re-foamed many of these drivers over the years.

Yes, the F uses a spider. Sean
>