Dr. Feickert Protractor

What will Dr. Feickert's protractor do that the paper alignment protractor that came with the turntable can't do? 

128x128rdk777
Dear @lewm : Every time that you post explained why Stevenson alignment is ok makes less sense to me. Ovbiously that some one bougth in deep that idea/argument.

For me it does not make sense sacrifice 20 minutes of the recorded LP surface in favor of the last 5 minutes especially because over those 20 minutes the distortion levels goes really higher against Löfgren A or B.
In the other side cartridges normally are good trackers and normally has no problems to ride the inner grooves. In my enterely audio life I never found out a cartridge that can’t does that task.

You have your ideas and I respect that but again makes no sense to me sacrifice the more for the less. What kind of " change " is that? where are the real advantages? why it makes sense to you that " some one " listen to his whole LP collection with higher distortions all the time because Stevenson alignment ? ! ! is just out of my mind.

In the past I posted that whom has the same idea as you make a simple test: with a good tracker cartridge matched to an specific tonearm ( a decent one. ) listen the inner grooves with Stevenson set up against Löfgren B alignment looking for differences and make the same test in the outer grooves too. I did it not once but several times with different cartridges, please do it and share your results.

Regards and enjoy the MUSIC NOT DISTORTIONS,
R.
My one experience is with the Dynavector DV505, which is unique, as you know, in having two independent pivots, one for horizontal and one for vertical motion of the arm wand.  The DV505 was designed for the DV alignment, which is very close to Stevenson, if not identical.  When I aligned the very same cartridge by Stevenson and then by Baerwald, in the DV505, I actually heard gross distortion with the latter alignment that was ameliorated by going back to Stevenson.  Please notice that I DON'T claim that this would be a general observation applicable to conventional pivoted tonearms.  I have written about this experience many times already.  

My hypothesis to explain my observation is that twisting the cartridge with respect to the long axis of the headshell, as one must do in order to achieve Baerwald in any tonearm designed for Stevenson, was placing some aberrant stresses on the cantilever (novel force vectors would be created) that might be more severe, and therefore more audible, with the DV tonearms than with conventional ones, because of the very short pivot to stylus distance with respect to vertical motion.  Persons who own other vintage Japanese tonearms might want to consider this issue, but I have no idea whether the problem would occur with those that pivot conventionally at a single point in both planes.  Further, I never claimed that inner groove distortion was either increased or decreased; I merely stated that for LPs with musical information close to the label, Stevenson makes some sense to try, especially if your tonearm was designed for Stevenson.  In other words, I do not dismiss Stevenson a priori, as you advise.

Actually, I really don't give a hoot what anyone else does; I'm just putting out my experience, just as you are doing. With my modern tonearms, I do use Baerwald, regardless of the LP.  But just because you have written something over and over again does not mean that I have to accept it.
Dear @lewm : As you know I owned that 505 and my alignment was made it using Löfgren B and never detected any single listenable kind of distortion.
I owned or own too almost all japanese top tonearm designs and always made it the same: Löfgren B with out no single distortion issues.
Your hipothesis is only that a hiphotesis.

Now, no one attend to a music hall only to enjoy the last five minutes of the concert.

In the other side, the audiophiles that like classical music like because the whole compositor work . The beauty of this kind of MUSIC it's not only in some parts of it but at each single note.
We all know that some works by Beethoven or Wagner or some other are works that takes more than one LP side even as the Opera or Wagner takes more than 2 LP sides.

So, where are the Stevenson advantages for any one of us?, just does not exist. As I told you makes no sense or as people says in USA: just bs.

Some one sold you that " crazy " idea ( for say the least. ) and you bougth it but with no precise or clear foundation.

Regards and enjoy the MUSIC NOT DISTORTIONS,
R.

I am sorry to learn that your system is not accurate enough to allow you to perceive the obvious distortion that I heard when I set up the DV505 for Baerwald.

I am joking, of course. But why would you say such a silly thing? Any alignment geometry that gets you two null points on the playing surface of an LP is as valid as any other that does the same. It’s impossible to argue with you intelligently, because you do not read the responses; I did not say that Stevenson was superior to any other, just that it is not per se inferior to any others. You are certainly entitled to your opinions, but please do not dismiss my observations simply based on your own. Most likely we were using different cartridges. A high compliance cartridge, for example, might be more sensitive to the aberrant force vectors generated when you twist the cartridge with respect to the long axis of the headshell (and to the single possible plane of the arc of the vertical bearing of the DV tonearms). No one else gives a damn about this discussion, so let’s bag it.
Dear @lewm : """  Any alignment geometry that gets you two null points on the playing surface of an LP is as valid as any other that does the same. """

Valid? yes because is an alignment. Usefully is the real question. Stevenson is useless per sé and it's not only an opinion. Please read my posts about.

yes, no one cares about.

R.