Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

Ghosthouse, that was the best version of "My Favorite Things" I have ever heard.
Pryso, thank you for bringing up George Russell. Russell generated a fair amount of discussion here (and controversy....probably why I didn’t comment earlier) a while ago and in that context the only earlier mention of Don Ellis. I point this out only as a point of interest; he (and Don Ellis) is certainly worthy of more discussion. Don Ellis was a member of both some of his large and small ensemble projects.

George Russell was one of the most important figures in modern jazz. As a theorist, his "Lydian Chromatic Concept Of Tonal Organization" was and is a hugely important jazz theory concept (and book) which influenced many modern jazz players including Miles and Coltrane particularly in their ground breaking moves toward "modal" jazz. On this thread there has sometimes been a very mistaken notion and even aversion to the idea that many (probably most) of the most prominent jazz players have actively, and very extensively, studied and used ideas and "formal" concepts about harmony in developing their compositions and improvisation styles. I mention this only to stress just how important Russell’s ideas were and how much that sort of thing is an integral part of this great music. The idea that jazz players simply put the horn up to their lips and blow and magic happens is simply not how it all works. It is ultimately a combination of talent, creativity combined with serious study and understanding of harmony and music theory and, yes, magic. George Russell’s ideas were and remain hugely important. Interesting reading:

http://www.georgerussell.com/lc.html

Nice "So What". Very funky; thanks for that. Love how he doesn’t use the melody of the tune and instead uses Miles’ very solo from Miles’ classic recording of the tune in the ensemble passages. Great soprano solo. Some of my favorite George Russell are his small ensemble recordings. This one featuring Don Ellis and Eric Dolphy is particularly interesting, imo:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8-PHjNNfEy4

Ghosthouse, loved it.  Yeah, the tuba doesn't always get a lot of love in jazz.  Great players in MJTP; amazing how agile they can sound on those big horns.  Thanks for that!
Wow, thanks for that frog.  Your information ties together a few things for me.  Remember I've admitted to not having any musical background.

I'll blush to say I never heard of that album.  But now I've got to find a copy.  I know many here would just download it but I'm not into that.  So vinyl will me my first choice, then CD if I can't find a new or very clean LP.

Yes o10, nothing like Miles.  And that's just fine, better to have very different versions.