Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Very possibly. He was known, as you suggest, for his wry sense of humor. Great player and great loss. I’ll never forget the first time I heard his playing. I was a sophomore in high school (1975) and just starting to discover jazz and jazz saxophone in particular. In this case it was "fusion". My band director said to me "You got to hear this guy" and played me this record. It was Michael Brecker on Billy Cobham’s "Crosswinds". On that record the guitarist was John Abercrombie:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=z2tNB-tQjiE

The tune that introduced me to Michael Brecker:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=l-b_h8i9eWU
Interesting about human nature.  So many times we hold our own views so tightly that we are not open to appreciate those held by others.  I'm not beyond doing that myself.  That can be seen here within this post but in many other places as well.

I just stumbled across this link to a Patricia Barber performance at Newport.  I've been a fan of her music for more than 15 years.  If you're not familiar she plays piano and organ as well as vocals, and her quartet is always very tight.  She performs standards, her own compositions, and sometimes pop/rock songs, all with her own very personalized approach.

What struck me here was among the comments to this video someone bashed it, suggested listening to Bill Evans instead.  Now I greatly enjoy Evans, but I don't want to see a contemporary musician come on stage and simply emulate his playing.  I'm paying attention to this other artist because I want something different.  If I'm in the mood for a taste of Evans then I'll pull out one of his recordings -- no substitutes.  (Although I will admit that Barber's posture sometimes looks about the same as Evans' often did!)

This Newport performance runs nearly an hour.  If you're curious to see what they do with a pop/rock tune but don't have time for the whole thing, just jump to about the 44 minute mark for "Norwegian Wood".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7JtThZN_SY
Hello all. Long time lurker, first time poster. I'm trying to improve the soundstage depth performance of my system and would like to have a few great jazz recordings which are known to display significant depth. By having these in my collection I will have a more reliable measuring stick in the future when I make changes to the system or room.

I've not been a jazz aficionado in the past but I'm listening more and more and developing a love for it, hence my desire to start with jazz as my primary reference. I'm assuming in many cases that vinyl will be the preferred route but if a cd or even Tidal is known to work well please spell that out for me. The one time I've heard good depth in a system it was a much nicer system and room than mine and the record was Louis Armstrong doing St. James Infirmary. I believe at the time a good copy of the record was about $150 which was a bit pricy for me. I don't have many options to hear other systems so I'm on my own for the most part. Any help is much appreciated.
kyat, you may be interested to know that Satchmo recording was sourced from an old Audio Fidelity LP released in 1964.  It was recently reissued as a full LP, then apparently once the quality of that particular number was realized, a single 45 RPM version of "St. James Infirmary" was released.  You can find the LP for much less than $150!  https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_fb_1_21?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=louis+armstr... The point being that recordings need not be new to offer great sonics.  

However, for newer recordings with great sonics and natural tonalities I need not go any further than LPs by Patricia Barber as I referenced above.
Kykat, you may try this, Chet Baker ’Candy’ album. It is recorded on dvd as well on cd. Beleive that it will provide the sensation of ’depth’, like looking at it live. Here is the link...

https://youtu.be/0mnAVcMqJr8