Focal Kanta No.2

Focal introduced a new line today beginning with the Kanta No.2. It looks like they're positioning it between the W cone equipped 1000 series and the Sopra. It's got the shape of the older Utopia products before they went segmented. Any thoughts? Curious what people will think when they hear them. 
kosst_amojan
I doubt the price of the Sopra will increase in relation to this. The differential in pricing is currently five thousand greater with a model of similar specification. Additionally, pricing at each individual tier is based on what the market will bear with consideration to all peer competitors. Canton Ref K series is competitive to the Sopra series as do the B&W 800 Series. These factors will play a greater role in pricing then in house competition.

Stereoplay has already produced its first review of the Kanta No.2 with a base set of measurements and ratings. Based on those figures, Focal has certainly achieved its stated goals on bass performance and it has most of the hallmarks of current Focal designs.

The bass falls of -3db at 38hz and -6db at 34hz and should provide a fairly good in room performance. Its pretty even handed and doesn't show the mid bass boost used buy some. On axis, the frequency response is quite flat to 30 degrees to either side. Getting up to 60 degrees off axis does show some of expected response falloff at the lower treble and upper treble. Its expected given the 2.7khz crossover between the mid/tweeter and is a compromises made between driver dynamics and dispersion. It has slightly less emphasis at the upper treble, which is used often to balance in room response. Might be a slightly less airy sound as compared to the Sopra.

Plenty of competition at this price point. B&W 804 D3, Canton Reference 7K or 5K, Revel's upcoming F228Be, PSB Imagine T3, and the Dynaudio Contour 30 are all within the target area. Focal is adding a some additional style to their product as a differentiation.
Not sure where you guys are getting the $9,000 price but they will be $10,000.

Also, where did you hear that the prices of the Sopras are going up?
I heard them as well at the show and thought they sounded really good for $10k. The two pairs that i listened to were connected to Naim equipment.
The $9000 price is what you get when you convert UK pounds to US dollars. If you Google "kanta no. 1 price" you get a WhatHiFi article that indicates they will be £7000. If so, that's more than twice what I paid for my 936's. Can a copper ring, a new rubber surround, a Be tweeter, and a new box transform the $3000 926 into a $9000 speaker? That seems like a bold leap, a TON of confidence in the F cone over the W cone, and makes the 900 series look like a real steal. In my estimation, of course.