PLEASE match Advice Pass Labs X350.5 (20k) to Hovland HP-100 (2500ohms) Miss-match ???

GUYS / GALS NEED YOUR HELP PLEASE!

A friend said this preamp is outstanding and will sound great with Pass Labs amps and to not get caught up in the specs but the measurements say different.

Pass Labs X350.5 amplifier with input Impedance 30k ohms Balanced or 20k ohms Single ended* 
(*source Pass Labs Manual)  

Hovland HP-100 source impedance 2500ohms* 
(*source Stereophile) 

Guys / Gals, can I used my Pass Labs X350.5 amp with Hovland HP-100 preamp? Has anyone used Pass amps with Hovland pre's. I will be using Magico S5 Speakers and Bricasti M1SE DAC but want it to sound the best it can. Should I just stick with the Aesthetix Calypso pre I was leaning toward before my gut said to go for the Hovland HP-100

Hovland HP-100 Preamplifier: * Output impedance: approximately 2500 ohms or according to Atkinson, Hovland HP-100 (2500ohms) its source impedance was high at 2.4k ohms, rising to 4.3k ohms at 20Hz. The partnering power amplifier would best have an input impedance of at least 47k ohms if the bass is not to sound lean*. The Pass Labs doesn't meet the x10 requirement it is supposed to but it is sort of close when looking at it. What do you guys think? I am not sure what to do but you guys will know what to do?

Stereophile: Its input impedance was a usefully high 100k ohms in the midrange and bass, with just a small reduction to a still-high 86k ohms at 20kHz. Despite the claim that the HP-100 uses a cathode follower output stage, its source impedance was high at 2.4k ohms, rising to 4.3k ohms at 20Hz. The partnering power amplifier would best have an input impedance of at least 47k ohms if the bass is not to sound lean.

Read more at https://www.stereophile.com/content/hovland-hp-100-preamplifier-measurements#YZXZfGLbbL2COkLR.99 https://www.stereophile.com/content/hovland-hp-100-preamplifier-measurements#YZXZfGLbbL2COkLR.99
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xfsmithjack
With your decision-making, perhaps take into account tube-rolling. I have a tube preamp (Musica Bella) & tube dac (CJ). Neither of which presents the old-style soft, bloated, tubey sound. Quite the contrary, the music is crystal clear. With tube-rolling, the sonic signature of each component can be significantly altered.  Different tubes will offer different presentations.
I know I love tubes but want the best matching pre but also the very best pre for the money. I just had a nice fellow offer me a nice deal on a Ayre K-1xe but
at a better price. Quite a bit less than the tube amps and only $300 more than these
Pass Labs XP-10
Ayre K-5xeMP

Looks like  Ayre K-1xe will be my pre of choice to go with Pass Labs X350.5. Really wanted to get some tubes in there but from and this is an older pre but from what i have heard it is an excellent and very non solid state sounding from a clinical or flat standpoint. What do you guys think. 

That's funny it started with either a Hovland or Aesthetix or BAT but evolved toward a Ayre K-1xe. 
You will love the K1
The first time i heard it was magic.
I never knew Cowboy Junkies Trinity Sessions Margo Timmons was also singing with the support of her brother softly but so vividly in the background.Luka Blooms 12 string had life that was kind of magic 
 Let it run in for a bit after about four days or so and you should get what I heard.
 Best JohnnyR
The Ayre and the Pass Labs are both great SS preamps. They will both work great with the proper surrounding components.
That said, I find it odd that you have heard that the Pass Labs unit can be sterile, while no one finds the Ayre to sound that way.
This does not mimic my impressions, but c'est la vie.

Personally, I have no desire to ever return to a SS preamp.
However, if forced to pick a SS preamp, my clear preference would be a 7 series unit from Klyne Audio Arts.
Thanks audioconnection - i love that album - ill listen for it.

jimcgrogan - those statements about pass xp10 being sterile i should have been explained a bit more and have to be taken in context though - as they relate to tube amps. They can also be more dynamic and precise so never knocking pass pre - I love pass products but to be fair the xp10 is the entry level pass product vs a reference cost no object preamp. If I could had got a xp20 but those are 3 times the money