Why not batteries instead of power supplies?

I read about issues with power supplies, like noise from AC outlets, ripples in voltage etc.

Why not just use a large battery that can be recharged? If batteries can power cars, they can for sure power amplifiers.
defiantboomerang
@nycjlee +1! Vinnie Rossi room was one of my fav at LA Audio Show this year!
Sutherland battery-powered phono got ditched by the man, I was really disappointed that in his interview with Stereophile he bluntly refused to answer why.
Agree with the sentiment that God is in listening: PS Audio Power Plant worked magic in my lab when we tried to make video of our efforts. When used in my "bedside" kit of Naim CDX/Lehmann h/p Amp/HD600 the benefits came at the price... Sent it back to the lab!!
No doubt supercaps are expensive as all hell, but when you're talking about $50,000 amps, is $3000 really all that insane when it comes to filtering a power supply? I'm not suggesting using them as primary supply filter caps. I'm suggesting using them as an additional filter stage between the rectifiers and the common electrolytics. If you've got even 200 Farad between the filter caps and rectifiers, are you going to even be able to measure the ripple? Sure, you'd need massive inrush current control, and the thing might take 5 minutes to charge up, but that's really about as close as you're going to get to a completely hassle free battery with practically none of the drawbacks. 

Kosst,

Use of a massive bank of capacitors does sound very interesting.  Have you tried this approach yourself?  Also, are they suited for constant drain (I thought they were primarily used where fairly rapid cycling is involved)?

I used a capacitance multiplier circuit on a preamp once, worked very well, bit hard to do on a poweramp though.
http://electronics-diy.com/electronic_schematic.php?id=486

Cheers George