Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

I didn't know that Paul had a sense of humor, and he could really crack up the house once he got going. I read that just after listening to the album "Desmond Blue".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PF0wolSozfM
o10, I think that video is mis-labeled.  I was expecting something by the Blue String Orchestra!  ;^)  More correctly it is -- Paul Desmond, "Desmond Blue" with string orchestra.  I know, not your doing.

Aside from that anal reaction, I just never get into jazz albums when featured artists are backed by string orchestras.  That seems counter to jazz in my mind.  Just yesterday my favored local jazz FM station featured the Charlie Parker album with strings!?!  

Anyway, to step down off my soapbox, frogman's suggestion for the Monk/Coltrane concert at Carnegie Hall reminded me to pull it out to enjoy it again.  In addition to the music, the liner notes show a copy of the billing for the concert.  Just imagine if you could hear Billie Holiday, Dizzy Gillespie, Ray Charles, Chet Baker with Zoot Sims, Sonny Rollins, and Thelonious with Coltrane, ALL for only $2.00 to $3.95 PER TICKET!!!  Of course that was in November, 1957!  But still, what a bargain!