Rate my system and chose the next upgrade

Good evening,

I'm looking to get my system to the "next" level.  Before you ask, what is "lacking", I can not pinpoint anything.  Over all, seems to sound "pretty good" to me.  I've been back to vinyl, buying nicer copies and cleaning well with a musichall machine.  Most of my time is spent utilizing a quick CD or SACD and Hi-Rez digital with Audirvana but really enjoy the vinyl experience.  I would utilize more vinyl but usually it's more time consuming.

Why am I upgrading?  I feel I may be missing out on improvement of sound somehow, therefore "upgrading" must be the correct answer right?  Here's my system.  What would you start with to upgrade?  My typical upgrade budgets are about $3k at a time.  I'll list the approximate retail value (new)

Yamaha A-s2000 integrated- $3000?
Yamaha A-s2100 SACD/CD- $3000?
Teac UD-501 DAC with DSD capability - $850
Clear Audio Performance DC Turntable- $3500 with clarify tonearm
Clear Audio Balance Phono stage- $1000
Sound Smith Cart- can't remember which but a $1200 unit
Martin Logan motion 40XT's- $2000/pair
Martin Logan small sub woofer-$500?

Go!

128x128dhpeck
The advice others are giving you is valid and correct.  My statement  to you is; you spend $6,000 on your integrated amp and CD player, which is fine,  yet you only spend $2,000 for your speakers. The most important component in a system, IMO.  I would up grade my speakers for starters.
I somewhat agree with Shadorne. I don't think your speakers are terrible, but do think you could improve significantly in that department.
Cheers, 
Tim
  • I have Legacy Focus HD speakers which I like very much but you must be 12 feet or more back from them for proper blending. That was in the set up instructions and I agree. For music listening, I don't prefer a sub with them. I do use subs for movie use. You have some very nice equipment. I have benefited greatly from room treatments from ATS and diffusers from Decware. 
DvdKitch, do you think Focus HD placement would suffice about 10 feet apart?  they would sit on each side of the fireplace- away from the wall of course
Yes I do, they are less sensitive to location than some of my other speakers. After a flood in my theater room which is 14x24x8 I had them in my open concept first floor which sounds similar to your room and was completely untreated. They really energized the room. My wife is still mad I put them back in the theater room. The Legacy’s plus some treatment would be fantastic. I got mine at the factory as trade ins. I had them watch for a set. They called in 2 weeks......