Tastes change with age?

Felt old, today, when I was seemingly unreasonably annoyed when a kid drove by in a rattling junk car with a boomin' system.  Pretty sure the kid thought it sounded good.

It's unreasonable, because I may or may not have once been a kid in a rattling junk car with a ridiculous set of subwoofers who may or may not have thought it sounded good at the time.  I guess tastes change with age, wisdom, exposure, and experience.  A "friend" might have once been able to stomach some Mad Dog 20/20 Orange Jubilee but now thinks he appreciates terroir.

Aside from perhaps having more "disposable" income as "audiophiles" age or moving with technology, might others prefer different types of music/gear than they once upon a time did?
stfoth
No doubt taste in music can change, but in my case I wonder if it didn’t really change so much as it became exposed via higher end gear (less distortion, greater frequency extension, flatter frequency response, etc.) When I listen to music I want to be emotionally and/or spiritually moved and to connect with the performer and their message. I suspect I may have always liked many more genres of music back in my younger years than realized, but hearing them through crap systems (car radio, elevator, dentist office, Good Housekeeping gear, $5 cartridge from Woolworth, boombox, etc.) the only aspect of music that COULD move me was the driving beat, thus R&R. It was the only "message" that could be disseminated from the gook that spewed from all of the crap gear to which I’d been exposed. A pattern certainly emerged for me as I got into higher end gear: better gear begot enjoyment of more performers and different styles of music, some of which I used to ignore, or even hate.

So, did my taste change, or did it simply become evident through better reproduction of sound? Maybe both? Hard to say.
roxy54

Hey...I still listen to the old Cat Stevens albums! OK, not the new Cat Stevens (aka Yusef), but early Cat Stevens i.e.Tea for the Tillerman, Mona Bone Jakon and Teaser and the Firecat were genius, and still relevant today. He absolutely deserves his place in the R&R Hall of Fame.
I do listen to music at lower volume than I did when I was younger. But my taste in music elevated to it's exquisitely high level at an early age ;-).
FYI, this website continues to update previous posts with your current number of posts. As of today (11/8/17), I’m at 669. I am so proud. Yeah!