TriPlanar tonearm outward skating issue

Hi all,

I have been trying to research a solution to a recent issue with my TriPlanar VII UII tonearm that I bought  a couple years back.

The tonearm seems to want to skate outwards, even with zero anti skate applied and the weight removed from the little anti skate arm. It is evident at various settings of VTF, VTA, etc. The platter is very level and everything seems to be aligned OK. This outward skating force is very light in the outer grooves and becomes stronger as the cartridge gets closer to the end of a side. In fact, as it traces the lead-out grooves at the end of a side, the tonearm sometimes thrusts outwards across those grooves back into the last track. Very scary!

A visual check of the cantilever azimuth seems to confirm an outward pressure from the tonearm since the cantilever is leaning with the stylus end closer to the spindle.

I can’t seem to find any information online about this phenomenon.

Any insights and recommendations would appreciated.
shayes002
Dear @cleeds : What is something " weird " is the very high tolerance levels that some times we audiophiles have with manufacturers or retailers when they just can’t fix a problem like the @wrm57 with his tonearm.

I see he is satisfied when was him whom fix it.
My question: where is that tonearm manufacturer that did not fix aproblem in its manugactured tonearm? , I think that when we take te responsability to fix a manufacturer problem we are taking out the main responsability of any manufacturer/designer and that’s why I said seems to me " weird " the wrm57 attitude but this attitude it’s not the first time we took it, any one can read the VPI thread here where manufacturer just does not takes its main and only responsability after the product be sold.

Now, if Triplanar comes here and says that that issue is part of the toneaerm design at least the owners needs to know it but no explanation and not fixed trouble.  !!!

Regards and enjoy the MUSIC NOT DISTORTIONS,
R.
Now, if Triplanar comes here and says that that issue is part of the toneaerm design at least the owners needs to know it but no explanation and not fixed trouble. !!!
I own two of them and neither has this problem.

I would contact Triplanar; but I've talked to Triplanar about this and he says that this problem can occur if the interconnect cable is pulled too hard. It causes the cable to not have enough slack going through the gimbals.

Its also easy to fix- just extract some of the wires from the cable where the clamp is mounted at the base of the arm so as to give the wires a bit more slack.
What Ralph said.  As for any pivoted tonearm, the four wires have to pass from the horizontal arm wand into the vertical shaft that supports the pivot and the bearing mechanism.  At that right angle turn, the wires can impede the motion of the bearing.  I think I once had this problem with my Triplanar, and it was an easy fix to just create a little slack where the wires exit the arm on their way to the phono stage.  Pulling the wires too tightly can cause it.  But if it's that simple, one wonders why Tri said he could not fix it; Tri is a smart guy.
^^ I think there was some confusion somewhere; as soon as I mentioned this issue to Tri, he knew the problem and the fix. IOW I am very certain that Tri didn't say that he couldn't fix it.
rauliruegas1
What is something " weird " is the very high tolerance levels that some times we audiophiles have with manufacturers or retailers when they just can’t fix a problem like the @wrm57 with his tonearm ...  where is that tonearm manufacturer that did not fix aproblem in its manugactured tonearm? , I think that when we take te responsability to fix a manufacturer problem we are taking out the main responsability of any manufacturer/designer ...   if Triplanar comes here and says that that issue is part of the toneaerm design at least the owners needs to know it but no explanation and not fixed trouble. !!!
That's absurd. The manufacturer has no obligation to come here and tell us about this pickup arm. We don't know if the OP even bothered to contact Triplanar. We don't know whether it has a manufacturing defect or not. Perhaps the OP purchased this used; perhaps it's been misused or abused in some way, or damaged in shipment, or improperly installed. The problem as described here should in no way reflect negatively on Triplanar - we have no reason to believe the manufacturer is at fault in any way.