Burning/breaking in new equipment?

I am a complete beginner to stereo equipment, never having even owned so much as a record or CD, but I have been reading about it and found what I thought were good deals, so I pulled the trigger this weekend.

The following are on their way:

Benchmark DAC3 (DAC and preamp)
Bryston 4B3 (power amplifier)
KEF R900 (speakers)
XLR cables (from Benchmark)

I have read that new equipment needs to be broken in for about 100 hours. Does that mean I have to play music through them for 100 hours at the same volume I would use when listening or can I play it at a much lower volume?

Note: I am a little worried that the above system might be too bright, sharp or clinical (as I have read about the previous generations of Bryston amps) but I am trying to go for clean, pure, true, honest, accurate, transparent — whatever that means, but I am thinking I want it to sound like what the artists, producers, directors, audio engineers, etc intended when they created, mixed and mastered each track, with nothing artificial added by the equipment. I also went with companies with more solid engineering and less marketing.

bobk3
All very good advise. I'll add that during the hours you aren't or can't play music, leave your components powered up to continue burn-in.

You don't say what your source will be, but play dynamic music that will cover the entire frequency spectrum. There are also CD's or downloads containing test tones and frequency sweeps for burn-in and setting up a system.
Well done. I also agree with the attitude that gear should be neutral, accurate etc. These electronics are just about as good as it gets, irrespective of price, and irrespective of what snake oil sellers and the voodoo priests on Audiogon may say. The electronics exceed human hearing acuity by a pretty wide margin, and have no sonic signature of themselves at all. Since they are also exceptionaly well built, they may last you a life time. You have been very well advised, and that includes the cables.
So I am bit surprised by your concern about burning in. The speakers may need a few hours, but that is all. And if electronics need warming up, in my book that counts as defective design. For the same reason, I would simply turn them off once you have finished. There is already too much waste of energy on the planet. In fact, leaving them on will reduce their longevity (electrolytic capacitors in particular do not like heat).
The only component with a sonic signature will be the speakers. Even the best speakers are very imperfect compared to electronics. I take it you have auditioned those and like them. However, if you will ever consider upgrading anything, look at the speakers, because there may well be room for improvement in that area (at a price). Think of something like the Harbeth M40.2 (provided the room is big enough). But stay away from changing the electronics.
Finally, as others have said as well, look into the in-room response of the speakers. The room is the elephant in the room. Above the so-called Schroeder frequency rooms are plagued by reflections that may give an overbright and fatiguing sound, but that you can damp with carpets, book cases or more techno stuff. Below the Schroeder frequency, this will not work and you have so called room modes (low frequency resonance peaks at the room’s dimensions making for a boomy woolly bass). You may need bass traps to cure that, or room equalization. A first step would be to measure the in-room response with the REW software.
But first, just enjoy.

Congrats on the new gear!!

Is it all brand new, not just new to you?

I don’t care much for hyperbole and conjecture aimed at run in routines or breakin periods and consequent trials.

The first thing I’m doing when new stuff arrives is to hook it all up and turn it all on, and listen to what it sounds like right out of the box. I’ll listen, if possible for a few hours playing whatever. UNLESS … it sounds off too much to deal with.

I mean geeezz, the speakers at least need setting up. That takes a few minutes. Lol it can take days and one should not spike them until they are well run in and positioned properly.

You’ll know the speakers run in when it quits changing audibly, becomes more consistent, and begins to become better nearly every time you sit down for a session. Then it will finally stop improving. That is when it is run in.

Setting up speakers is well covered if one but Googles for it.

How long it takes depends on how long you allow it to run and at what levels. There’s all kinds of weird speculation on this and that surrounding breaking in gear.

Essentially, it simply comes down to turning it on and letting it run.

I’ll plus one @Inna indicating varying run times and volume levels in the first few days and or weeks playing various genres. Later on, yeah, then you can floor it.

My lone caveat is simple…. Heat. If heat can be well maintained, keeping stuff on only risks inadvertent power failures, spikes or brown outs. To circumvent those little possible disasters I merely limit the time the system is fully energized never keeping anything on all the time.

I’m a huge proponent of ‘everything matters” in a rig, from the room to isolation footers under the devices. Wires too.

And yes… some music is recorded better than others, so CD quality is questionable now and then. Only your own EXP & ears, matters there.

Personally, for fun, I’m a note taker for various reasons. They support or deny later changes better than my memory. Going forward its all on your preffs and being as objective and honest as you can with your judgements.

Congrats and enjoy…. Yay.

Very nice gear for a first system.
All previous advice is great.
If your electric rates are not too high, you can leave things on 24/7.
Burn in takes some time, so just listen and enjoy your new stereo. When things come together, you will notice a subtle change. Nothing major, but a change none the less.
If you need to turn things off, then it will take an hour of so for things to settle down.
Most of all, enjoy the music.
Bob
One last thing to add to the above burn-in advice - during the burn-in period you may experience times where the system does not sound as good as it did previously.

This will pass after a few more hours burn-in

e.g. I have cables that sound great initially, but after around 25 hours the system sounded worse than before. By around 60 hours the system started sounding much better and things just improved after that. I observed less focus in the image and clarity suffered.

In my system everything took around 400 hours for everything to sound their absolute best.

One other note: unplugging IC’s and speaker cables and then reconnecting them - you should allow time for them to re-settle - a couple of days is normally adequate.

Regards - Steve