Does a new cd transport require break-in time?

I just ordered a new Cambridge CXC transport to go along with  Gungy DAC.
Does it require any break-in time?
128x128rvpiano
@rvpiano

The following quote is from Schiit Tech support in response to the noise you are hearing when you are pausing music. My *assumption* is that the same response would apply to your Gungnir.

"The Yggdrasil doesn' t trigger on silence itself, it triggers on the loss of signal. If the CD Player outputs silence but maintains the stream that will be fine, however if your CD Player actually stops the stream entirely then you will get the click. Different CD Players behave differently."

So basically what they are saying is that the device you are using as transport *stops the stream entirely*. You may test that of course by using a different playback device. In my particular case, every device I have used as transport does not cause my Yggy to make any kind of "shattering electrical noise". However, I agree with you that it is rather inconvenient if this is your experience. I don't know what else to offer you in the way of a response. Perhaps send an email to Schiit with the details of your specific hardware and they can recommend something.

As to Schiit's lack of phone support, I wasn't suggesting they be given credit for it. Rather, I'm giving credit only in-so-far as they disclose the fact that they don't. 
rvpiano OP

228 posts                                                                         11-11-2017 10:19pm

i don’t understand how “it’s a good thing” that you can’t pause a selection in mid stream without having to hear a shattering electrical noise.
If the telephone rings, or you have to go to the bathroom, you have to start a CD from the beginning, even if you are three quarters of the way through a symphony you’ve been avidly listening to for 45 minutes. It’s not a good thing if, effectively, you can’t utilize a pause control, like virtually with every other similar device.
Agree! You shouldn’t hear anything through the speakers other than the interruption of the music when you pause or stop the music.
gdhal
677 posts                                                                            11-12-2017 7:23am

@rvpiano

The following quote is from Schiit Tech support in response to the noise you are hearing when you are pausing music. My *assumption* is that the same response would apply to your Gungnir.

"The Yggdrasil doesn’ t trigger on silence itself, it triggers on the loss of signal. If the CD Player outputs silence but maintains the stream that will be fine, however if your CD Player actually stops the stream entirely then you will get the click. Different CD Players behave differently."

So basically what they are saying is that the device you are using as transport *stops the stream entirely*. You may test that of course by using a different playback device. In my particular case, every device I have used as transport does not cause my Yggy to make any kind of "shattering electrical noise".

I doubt the Cambridge CXC transport interrupts the data lock of the DAC when a CD is paused or stopped. The only thing that should cause the transport to interrupt the lock, if it operating correctly, is turning the power switch off.
rvpiano OP

228 posts                                                                             11-11-2017 1:26pm

Interestingly, I much prefer the sound of the Gungnir with the Oppo transport.
The definition is probably better with the Cambridge, but there is, on my system, a shrillness I don’t like. The Oppo just sounds better and has plenty of detail. Maybe the Cambridge will sound different after more break in.
@rvpiano,

LOL, on some other forums if you posted that statement the naysayers would scurry from out of the woodwork. Bits are bits, no way transports can sound different from one another. No way!

As for comparing the sound of the Oppo to the Cambridge in all fairness the Cambridge is still breaking, burning, in.

Just curious, have you tried using the DAC from the Oppo connected to the Cambridge transport?
Shrill sound? Looks like you have a jitter problem with the Gumby and it prefers the Oppo. Bits are bits but how well a DAC handles jitter is part of the DAC design.