Tastes change with age?

Felt old, today, when I was seemingly unreasonably annoyed when a kid drove by in a rattling junk car with a boomin' system.  Pretty sure the kid thought it sounded good.

It's unreasonable, because I may or may not have once been a kid in a rattling junk car with a ridiculous set of subwoofers who may or may not have thought it sounded good at the time.  I guess tastes change with age, wisdom, exposure, and experience.  A "friend" might have once been able to stomach some Mad Dog 20/20 Orange Jubilee but now thinks he appreciates terroir.

Aside from perhaps having more "disposable" income as "audiophiles" age or moving with technology, might others prefer different types of music/gear than they once upon a time did?
stfoth

boxer12---Did you get the Smile album that Brian did with his current band (entitled Brian Wilson Presents Smile), or the Smile reissue of the original 66-7 recordings? If the former, consider getting either the double-CD or double-LP of the latter. The original recordings are different from the new, very dark and spooky, almost creepy, but also with a lot of subtle humour (Smile lyricist Van Dyke Parks is a very funny, sly guy). There is also a massive 6-CD boxset that contains every take of every song (including those with false starts, mistakes, rehearsals, etc.), but that’s for hardcore fanatics only.

There is also a documentary on the album, culminating in the premier live performance of the album in London in the early 2000’s. It’s magnificent! Smile was a massive undertaking, very complex for Pop music. There was a lot of music just starting to get made in 1967 that flattered itself as being progressive, but most of that sounds childish compared to Smile.

whart, if you haven’t discovered them yet, check out Love Sculpture, the Welsh band fronted by the great Dave Edmunds, later of Rockpile, one of the greatest Rock ’n’ Roll bands ever. Love Sculpture was an oddity, doing not just one style of music. They gained notoriety for performing Sabre Dance by Classical composer Khachaturian, which was inspired, it is said, by Keith Emerson’s work. I much prefer Dave’s solo albums that followed, where he focusses on 50’s Rock ’n’ Roll (he’s the best Chuck Berry-style guitarist I’ve ever heard) and early 60’s Pop (he figured out how to recreate Spector’s Girl Group Wall Of Sound). But then I'm not a Mod, I'm a Rocker ;-).

I concur w/ roberjerman-
I fell in love with Jazz (America's greatest treasure) about 15 years ago.
I much prefer this genre now. I came into it from a Classic Rock/Hard Rock/ Metal background.
Additionally, I can relate to that poor kid in a booming car. My friends and myself used to build those kind of systems back in the 80's.

Happy Listening!
bdp24, I picked up the "presents" album. I'll keep an eye out for the other one. Thanks
I've come to a serious "beatnik" period for the last 10 years or so where I can't get enough jazz…love piano trios both old and new (newer brilliant youngsters who can REALLY play give me hope for civilization in general)…and rarely listen to any modern pop or Hippity Hop…ever….and I was a 60's Rock and Roll musician right through now (still play too loud, although my acoustic chops are OK). I have all the signs of Older Dude taste, and own original Steely Dan vinyl that I actually do still listen to…Little Feat…are there current bands as good as those guys? If so, I don't hear 'em, and find that many successful "newer" bands like The National or the Black Keys are unlistenable (to put it mildly) although mostly well regarded by others. Oh well…there's a LOT of jazz (and classical) to get through in my remaining years so I'm not worried about any of it, and try to keep my Hippity Hop opinions to myself when around our mid 20 something kids.
For Beatnik, early Tom Waits is just the ticket. A little too self-consciously trying to be cool for me, but that is just me.