TriPlanar tonearm outward skating issue

Hi all,

I have been trying to research a solution to a recent issue with my TriPlanar VII UII tonearm that I bought  a couple years back.

The tonearm seems to want to skate outwards, even with zero anti skate applied and the weight removed from the little anti skate arm. It is evident at various settings of VTF, VTA, etc. The platter is very level and everything seems to be aligned OK. This outward skating force is very light in the outer grooves and becomes stronger as the cartridge gets closer to the end of a side. In fact, as it traces the lead-out grooves at the end of a side, the tonearm sometimes thrusts outwards across those grooves back into the last track. Very scary!

A visual check of the cantilever azimuth seems to confirm an outward pressure from the tonearm since the cantilever is leaning with the stylus end closer to the spindle.

I can’t seem to find any information online about this phenomenon.

Any insights and recommendations would appreciated.
shayes002
lewm
Raul, Do you have an equivalent phrase in Spanish for "You are making a mountain out of a mole hill"? If not, try "Tempest in a teapot". The discussion should have ended when the OP got his information. There is hardly any audio product you can name that is completely foolproof.
+1 to this. And note that the OP had the correct answer to his problem within just a few hours of his post - check the pick up arm wire so it is "dressed so as not to apply any force to the arm itself." This is one of the most basic, elemental aspects of pickup arm installation.

As more and more neophytes jump on the vinyl bandwagon, it's increasingly common to see that many fail to understand what's required to properly align a pickup arm and phono cartridge. Faulty installations often result, and so do faulty conclusions about equipment and what's possible to achieve with LP playback.

LP setup is not plug-and-play.

Dear @lewm : Due to your last post I'm a little disappointed on what I was thinking of you as an experienced audiophile. Never mind.

I own some bulletproof/foolproof audio items. Of course not that stupid milk's child example you posted.

Almost all audio items comes with an intrinsecal trade-offs design. Those trade-offs are the ones that makes the real/true differences in between similar audio items.

Now and depending of whci audio item we are talking about some kind of trade-offs are just unacceptable like this one in the Triplanar. We are not talking here of the VPI unipivot  we are talking of a good tonearm in a price range that certainly is far away to be an entry level one but we are talking here of the more critical an important cartridge's " slave " that it's main target is to fulfill the cartridge/LP needs.
Things like this subject in the Triplanar and the support many of you do is the main obstacule for analog can really grow-up.
Is " sad " to see audiophiles that over the time are less and less demanding on quality performance audio items. That attitude makes that less and less the manufacturers have real/true chalenges to fulfill the audiophiles targets.

INCREDIBLE for say the least. ! !

For you post you are satisfied with, fine with me and I don't care about. As I said I don't care about Triplanar, I'm not an owner and certainly I will not be a owner in the future.

Every one enjoy what we have. Good for you and other Triplanar owners.

Regards and enjoy the MUSIC NOT DISTORTIONS,
R.
Hi Raul,

Like yourself, I’ve encountered products which make unforgivable design decisions but it’s UNFAIR to put the Tri-Planar into this category.

I have yet to handle a tonearm which didn’t have at least one or two design quirks. There is no foolproof/bulletproof tonearm in existence. If there were, I suspect it would be so over-engineered as to have sonic compromises.

Also, let’s not allow the IAE ("Internet Amplification Effect") damage the reputation of a well-conceived tonearm.

The only time I’ve seen any sort of problem with Tri-Planar wire routing was that SINGLE OBVIOUS CASE of ABUSE by the previous owner. I was stunned when I saw the photos it’s second owner sent me.

The first owner clearly tampered with the wire and did so very incompetently. I dug up two photos the customer sent me (links are below).

Can you honestly tell me that this kind of damage does not constitute abuse?

My point is, that people do the darnedest things, and a manufacturer can’t control everything. The sort of individual who can handle a record and cue it up would never damage the cable routing.

Take note of how the wires are untwisted (in comparison with the earlier photo I posted). It may not be clear from these views, but the wires were interfering with the cutout in the arm tube. They in NO way resemble the standard cable routing.

http://galibierdesign.com/images/galibier_forum/triplanar_wire_routing_damaged-01.jpg

http://galibierdesign.com/images/galibier_forum/triplanar_wire_routing_damaged-02.jpg

Cheers,
Thom @ Galibier Design
Raul, IMO you owe Triplanar and Lew an apology. Your statements are false and uncalled for.
" Raul, IMO you owe Triplanar and Lew an apology. Your statements are false and uncalled for. "

Raul will not apologize because he really believes he has done absolutely nothing wrong I think you need to understand Raul and the many claims he makes. Raul lives in the world of the internet and armchair theory and magazine articles and hearsay such as what contributors to this group post here and he then incorporates this limited "information" into his closely held belief system as though it were an actual verifiable fact because he can not see the difference between actual verifiable hand' s on experience and what he thinks people say its' all facts to him. So yes Raul actually believes the Triplanar tonearm is an incomplete design because it appears that way based on what he has read here in this group and he has no actual facts to challenge it and in fact it is rather obvious that he has limited experience in actually setting up a turntable system that is part of a Music Reproduction System or else he would have recognized early on that the suggestion to look at the cable "dressing" was the obvious first thing that should be carefully examined given the other information provided here in this group.