Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Post removed 

Pryso, you win the grand prize for solving the mystery, now which album do you prefer?

I declare the remainder of this evening to be guitar night; here's one of everybody's favorites; Kenny Burrell, he's got such a warm sound, I could listen to him all night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQGhX8uAKjc
As mentioned, the Monk/Blakey & Jazz Messengers tracks were never released on a album.  So even while I'd choose that, it is apparently a wasted pick. :^(

Pryso, I don't know what you mean, I've already ordered Art Blakey and Lee Morgan, it's on the way?
pryso, not sure why the confusion with what I wrote.

**** From my listening, o10’s initial post was not Monk, and those tunes were not the same as listed for his recording date in the bio I referenced. ****

That is what I wrote and makes the point about retitling, I think.

**** could it be that the Jordan music was utilized in the soundtrack for only the "party scene" while the remainder of the film utilized music recorded in that three day session with Monk and Blakey and the Jazz Messengers? ****

That is also what I wrote; with the possible exception that if you are suggesting that Monk played on the same tunes with the Jazz Messengers, I don’t believe so. If you watch the entire film you will see that the music that appears on both the Duke Jordan and the Blakey records is used only in the party scene and it was Timmons on piano not Monk. Only a little if the music recorded for the party scene, and which appears on those two records, was actually used in that party scene. None of the soundtrack music (except the party scene) is Blakey; it is Monk. Was ALL the music, Monk and Jordan, recorded during the same three days? Who knows. Certainly possible; but, separately I believe.  Regardless, I think that calling either the Blakey or the Jordan records the "movie soundtrack" is quite a stretch.  Re the titles:

Here is a tune titled "Miguel’s Party" as it appears on the Blakey record:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLUJ7V33M1wR0kn82R1Xp6WwvZ47aK-2BP&v=p4ypqf7J4x8

Same tune (different take) as it appears on the Jordan record; this time titled "Subway Inn":

https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLdvLF0osAgEhC6dS-F6FgB_xrwzEwrmbE&v=1jdGUzc8jBg