Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
pryso, not sure why the confusion with what I wrote.

**** From my listening, o10’s initial post was not Monk, and those tunes were not the same as listed for his recording date in the bio I referenced. ****

That is what I wrote and makes the point about retitling, I think.

**** could it be that the Jordan music was utilized in the soundtrack for only the "party scene" while the remainder of the film utilized music recorded in that three day session with Monk and Blakey and the Jazz Messengers? ****

That is also what I wrote; with the possible exception that if you are suggesting that Monk played on the same tunes with the Jazz Messengers, I don’t believe so. If you watch the entire film you will see that the music that appears on both the Duke Jordan and the Blakey records is used only in the party scene and it was Timmons on piano not Monk. Only a little if the music recorded for the party scene, and which appears on those two records, was actually used in that party scene. None of the soundtrack music (except the party scene) is Blakey; it is Monk. Was ALL the music, Monk and Jordan, recorded during the same three days? Who knows. Certainly possible; but, separately I believe.  Regardless, I think that calling either the Blakey or the Jordan records the "movie soundtrack" is quite a stretch.  Re the titles:

Here is a tune titled "Miguel’s Party" as it appears on the Blakey record:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLUJ7V33M1wR0kn82R1Xp6WwvZ47aK-2BP&v=p4ypqf7J4x8

Same tune (different take) as it appears on the Jordan record; this time titled "Subway Inn":

https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLdvLF0osAgEhC6dS-F6FgB_xrwzEwrmbE&v=1jdGUzc8jBg
I love these mysteries and I think there is even more to this one than what we have considered so far. A couple more clues to the solving it:

Unless I’m mistaken one of the sticking points seems to be whether Monk recorded WITH the Blakey band on any of the tracks for the movie soundtrack. As I opined previously, I don’t think so. I think Monk used his band and Blakey used his band (Jazz Messengers) for the party scene music. If one watches the movie one notices that, first, whenever there is music, ASIDE FROM the party scene, it is often Monk playing solo and when he is accompanied by a band one hears Charlie Rouse’s distinctive tenor sound and NOT Barney Wilen who played on the Jazz Messengers sessions. Additionally, when Monk is playing one NEVER hears Lee Morgan’s trumpet (or any trumpet).

BUT WAIT!!! There are a couple of scenes in the movie when the band gets screen time and it is not Blakey’s band NOR Monk’s band; one sees a young Art Taylor on drums who played on the Duke Jordan record. A much more handsome guy than Blakey was....that’s the film industry for ya. Additionally, there are a couple of soundtrack spots when one clearly hears Charlie Rouse’s tenor, BUT, not with Monk, but with, presumably, Jordan’s band as credited on the Jordan record. So, my final answer (opinion):

Monk either played solo or with HIS band on the soundtrack. That music was never released as a record. Additionally, there TWO other bands who were used for the party scene music, Blakey’s and Jordan. Each of those sessions, possibly augmented after the fact, was released as different records.
Well, I guess I just proved it is foolish to offer comments on music I’ve not heard. :^(

As I admitted, I hadn’t watched the film so could only guess about the specific music beyond the first two minutes or so. However I based my input on what I’d read in the Monk bio. That stated that Monk as well as Blakey and the Messengers were booked into a studio for three days to make their recordings for the film. Apparently Monk laid down his tracks the first day. There was no suggestion that Monk recorded with the Messengers during that session. And so far as I read, Jordan and his band were not present. I believe all that fits within the information/suggestion provided by frogman.

Also o10, I should have said no recording release of Monk’s performance for the film. Obviously as linked here, both Blakey & the JM (I skipped over that) and Jordan do have soundtrack records.

Sorry if I added confusion.

Pryso, what was presented was confusing, you didn't add any; just enjoy the music.
No apology necessary for any of it, imo.  I think the confusion can lead to learning some things about the artists and their "scene"; or, at least, put things in a certain perspective.  I think that one of the takeaways is that while we tend to look at at the various projects that our musical heroes were involved with in an almost reverential way, sometimes it was, for them,  just a day's work.