Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Not to step away from Rollins, who I admire for both his musical talent and intellect, but I just stumbled across this nearly 30-year-old 60 Minutes interview with Miles.  "I never suffered, and I can still play the blues."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sb6WIzRbCjo
On vinyl
- Miles and Monk At Newport (The Monk side)
- John Coltrane A Love Supreme
- Stravinsky Ebony Concerto - Woody Herman and His Orchestra
(Stravinsky conducting the Columbia Symphony and Pierre Boulez and the Ensemble Intercontemporain are kick ass, too)

On CD
- Art Pepper Meets The Rhythm Section
- The Bad Plus Rite of Spring
- Anything by Dave Restivo (an old highschool buddy)

Fusian, I see you have two of the most popular albums in jazz: John Coltrane, "A love Supreme", and "Art Pepper Meets the Rhythm Section"; those are in almost everybody's collection.

I apologize for never having heard "Dave Restivo" you're old high school buddy, but I'm going to correct that right now by pulling him up on 'you tube'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNs2sUKhuKA

And here he is with his trio; the guy swings.

Welcome to the thread, and I'll be looking forward to your many contributions.
fusian, nice to see mention of Stravinsky’s “Ebony Concerto”. Believe it or not Stravinsky was “discussed” here quite a bit early in the thread’s life with some violent disagreement about the importance of this greatest of 20th century composers. I think that given your post it’s safe to say you are a Stravinsky fan. Pierre Boulez’ recording with Michel Arrignon playing the solo clarinet part is an infinitely better performance than Woody Herman’s, imo; and does, as you say, kick ass. Difficult clarinet part which was, despite Woody’s swinging talents, a little over his head technically.

Another great 20th century composer celebrating this year what would have been his 100th birthday. The Leonard Bernstein Centennial Celebration is happening right now with a lot of his music being featured in concert halls worldwide. Another piece featuring solo clarinet which combines Jazz and Classical elements, his “Prelude, Fugue And Riffs”:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=T3JYlHS5KHw

Hey Rok, if you’re out there, hope all is well.