Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
o10, not to discredit Adams (I enjoy him too) but Ronnie Cuber is given credit for the bari work on the Mingus album.

Pryso, Mingus "Moanin" is from the album "Blues and Roots"; here are the tunes and artists;

"Wednesday Night Prayer Meeting" – 5:39
"Cryin' Blues" – 4:58
"Moanin'" – 8:01
"Tensions" – 6:27
"My Jelly Roll Soul" – 6:47
"E's Flat Ah's Flat Too" – 6:37

Personnel[edit]
Charles Mingus – bass
John Handy – alto sax
Jackie McLean – alto sax
Booker Ervin – tenor sax
Pepper Adams – baritone sax
Jimmy Knepper – trombone
Willie Dennis – trombone
Dannie Richmond – drums
Horace Parlan – piano, except for "E's Flat Ah's Flat Too"
Mal Waldron – piano on "E's Flat Ah's Flat Too"

Pepper Adams is an artist I identify by sound; you know your friends by sight, I know Pepper Adams by sound; while I didn't know the artists on this tune, I would have bet my left testicle that was Pepper Adams on baritone sax.

Alex, it sounds better the second time around; you can focus on any instrument you glossed over the first time.

Alex I'm a stickler for detail; the shoes the guy in the picture is wearing are black tassle. I thought they were "super cool" and had a pair in high school in 56. Mine were exactly like the brown one's, only black.

https://www.google.com/search?q=tassel++shoes&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=8TYjZwCm...:

This music is "super cool" too.
O-10, pryso is correct. In fact, that is not Mingus’ band at all, but the "Mingus Big Band" which is run by Sue Mingus in a local NYC club with regular weekly date there and plays Mingus’ music. Ronnie Cuber is the baritone. Great player with a very fat, but less edgy tone than Pepper and a bit of a "funk" influence in his style which can be heard here.  That is a 1993 recording.

This is from the album "Blues and Roots";

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyOlc8BaR0A

My mistake; he sounds more like Pepper Adams than Pepper himself; but I guess that was intentional.