Can't we all just get along?

I have not been a member for a very long time, and joined Agon to discuss audio with others in my hobby. Seems to me that almost every post devolves into a hijacked  negative argument between a few members that seem to think it's their platform to preach their opinions to any who would listen, and any dissent to what they have to say is met with ridicule/insults, and just downright rudeness.

There will always be differences in opinion, BUT, we can be civilized in how we disagree.

There is already too much negativity in the world. Is it not possible to insulate that from our hobby in this forum, or is this what we have become? Hiding behind our keyboards and not having the courtesy to treat our fellow audio lovers with decency, open-mindedness, and RESPECT !

128x128crazyeddy

@hifiman5  No property damage at all. It's just a wide open field behind the shop. Had he come down another few second later, well, it would have been quite bad for all as he was heading towards my building.

@blindjim  Sounds like you had neighborhood was quite sketchy in the past. Can't imagine the stress with the constant worry of the local druggies possible breaking in to your home. Sounds like you've got it under control now. Good for you!

Now, have you considered that your dryer may perhaps be in league with these scoundrels ?? Trying to get you out of your house..... You know, appliances are untrustworthy at the best of times

@crazyeddy > have you considered that your dryer may perhaps be in league with these scoundrels ?? Trying to get you out of your house.....

Blindjim > I’m uncertain at this point if the Maytag is ‘possessed’. I feel it is simply cruel. Albeit, I’m not blameless either. Keeping cookies out of the office would help keep the clothes from shrinking, I think. Maybe. Lil’ bit.

The Thugs used to bang on the windows, ring the doorbells, even start fires in the trash cans, all to get me to come out and ‘play’. If I lived in TX, I would have. Here, its another story so I wait for them inside.

Adding exterior lighting, and a monitored security system helped.

I’m pretty sure taking a couple hours to clean one of my larger deterrents while sitting on my porch in plain view of these idiots sent a fairly clear message. That, and knowing some people in my local law enforcement administration ultimately culled the heard… or has, thus far. I think.

Fingers crossed!!

Thanks.
= = = = =

@asvjerry > you might have to engage in some 'creative interior decoration'....

Blindjim > things have certainly changed. Inside and out. One might call it decorating. Thanks for the ideas.
= = = = = = =

@kosst_amojan > Can somebody explain to me how this topic is technical talk? Would I be mistaken in thinking these threads are just soap boxes?

Blindjim > these things come in waves. Maybe the next wave will drag us back onto the technical rationale of the human experience as it exists under duress and enormous stresses. The soapboxes are only there to keep our heads above the prevailing water levels the inadvertent flooding has provided.

. All work and no play ….. we all know that one and how it turns out.
= = = = = = =

Everyone has this option:
Skip what this or that person’s remarks are when they see their handle in a thread.

Or…

We could all simply lighten up a bit and practice tolerance.

Interjecting or trying to infuse a bit of humor isn’t a bad thing at all. Anything however can become monotonous and eventually disparaging if it becomes chronic, inane, or mindless.

Texture. Its how much or how little we reveal ourselves to others that adds depth and feeling to the discourse at hand.

Reading how many electrons move or don’t move, how deep the bit depth is, or how extended the dynamic range is with this sampling rate or that, without relief at all, is boring stuff.

IMHO, Reading another person’s experiences with this or that, and how they merged or set it up here or there, now that has more tangibility. Its easier to relate to practical things than sheer theory and self declared specifications for this piece or that.
Another member made a significant point recently on these pages as they said, to know the review or device best one should find out about the writer or designer.

@blindjim "

Interjecting or trying to infuse a bit of humor isn’t a bad thing at all. Anything however can become monotonous and eventually disparaging if it becomes chronic, inane, or mindless.

Texture. Its how much or how little we reveal ourselves to others that adds depth and feeling to the discourse at hand.

I could not agree more. I think a good bit of levity is good for the soul, and the "texture" of what we type should (perhaps) tell a little about ourselves, as individuals, so as to let the reader have a bit of a grasp on our personality. Just my thoughts, for whatever they're worth :)

@uberwaltz

Where/when in Canada will you be coming? If you happen to be in the Greater Toronto region let me know. Perhaps we can have lunch.