My apologies_Upgrade path from Wilson WattPuppy 7's?

Folks-

I am the naive person who posted about which speaker to buy next, my system is all McIntosh, except for the downloaded high-resolution music content. Since I have price limitations, I have been attempting to audition loudspeakers under $15K, preferably used or demos. In various stores, I have heard the following:
  • Vandersteen Quarto CT's: Great bass, but an active system that does not seem to resolve high mid-range strings like a Wilson;
  • Triton GoldenEar Reference;
  • Sonus Faber Venere S and Olympica's, great sound in the store.
Currently, I am auditioning (in-house) Wilson Yvette speakers (it cost $400 for an in-house demo), and they sound great to me, but they are too expensive, even at a reduced demo price.  I started comparing frequency and impedance curves where I could obtain them (mostly Hi-Fi news from the U.K.), but I am becoming too obsessive about this.

So, I guess I could buy the Wilson Sabrina or Wilson Sasha WP (discontinued Series 1), since I seem to like the Wilson sound. Any advice?

Thanks again - Gerry
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xgerryah930
To All:
Audiotroy is a bad apple troll

Thought there was something not quite right with the first post. Shilling for something came to mind.

Cheers George
George, Try to ignore Audiotroy.. He is always Shilling  and dissing Wilson
Where in Mi are you
Sorry Cap for your always shilling could it be after looking at Gerry's long laundry list of issues with the Wilson's that he has been looking at that someone should offer other advice rather then pounding the same dead cat.

Look at his observations:

1. Vandersteen Quatro CT's: Tremendously great speakers, especially for rock and jazz - not as good for strings (orchestral) - this could be related to improper placement and setup;
  2. Wilson Yvettes: Great speakers, greater frequency range but less analytical than my WPs. Seem too expensive for what they provide, even at a demo price;
  3. Wilson Audio MAXX3: Spectacular speakers, too much for my room;
  4. Wilson Sasha 1: Actually sound somewhat better for violin, viola, and cello than my WP7's, even if they still contain the $7 tweeter!
  5. Wilson Sabrina: Lack proper reproduction of cello in the low midrange - good speakers, but not for me;
  6. Wilson Audio Alexia 1: Great, but I do not believe in this theory of time domain compensation or whatever it is called. Not as good in my room as either the MAXX3's, Sasha 1's or WP7's;
  7. Wilson Audio Alexia 2: Fantastic. Not as good in my room as either the Sasha 1's or the Yvette.
If you read that does it seem that Gerry is convinced and totally in love with everything that he is hearing?

Cap, way too many audiophiles have the same experience that they are fiercely loyal to a brand and the product that they purchased, instead of looking at this objectively, we all want to love the products we purchased, but with that being said these are all tools, if you find a better one you move  out the old and in with the new and the market is always in flux.

When Wilson started Magico, Radiho, Rockport, Magico and YG as well as many others didn't exist. Wilson and to some extent Focal and then Avalon were the best speakers on the market.

If you noticed we did say the Wilsons sound good and are well constructed. The issue with many Wilson products is there ever increasing upward movement in cost and always coming out with a new model. 

You might actually find that  a disenting voice teaches you way more than another voice that agrees with what you allready like. 

Next time you are at an audio show, and Legacy is showing, listen to the Aeris and then see for yourself. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Dave and Troy
Audio Doctor NJ

I concurr - clearly Wilson is not going to take the OP to the next level of enjoyment. I would try Focal - similar bass heavy sound but better driver integration, IMHO. Alternatively, ATC are good at low mid range - in fact most speakers with a critically damped bass will do better at low mids than Wilson, Focal or B&W or any of the ported bass extended designs which all tend to "hum" in the deep LF and mask the lower mid range details.