Annoying sounds from cars at stop light

What causes the stereo in the car next to you at the stop light so loud and annoying with over the top bass and how can the driver stand it?

128x128soundsrealaudio
dill, are you saying you need to be 28 feet away in order to “fully” hear a 40Hz tone? I get the math but trying to understand how’s then we could hear the “whole” music when hearing all the frequencies from the same fixed listening position. Need to fresh up on my physics...
I was driving with the stereo on, put my hand out the window, ( the left hand not the right hand ) and felt the door panel. It was resonating like crazy and the volume was not turned up. So that got me thinking which for me is a lot more difficult then it seems. 
We all know that for every action there is an opposite and equal reaction. As it regards speakers this means that the sound off the back of the drive is equal to the sound coming off the front. 
then it seems

I think is should be ’than it seems’, sorry I have a thing with English...

Otherwise, I share your observations. I had to listen to a mobile boombox today and it made me think that the occupant must have gone deef. ;)
GB
My daily living is saturated with cars playing music loudly and certainly no jazz.
 Hip Hop and reggeton.
Bronx NY for you. I put headphones and continue with life.
I hate it still but I had learned how to tolerate it.

gdnrbob

Well you have hit a nerve. I majored in English.  English Lit. 

Thanks for the correction. Would you mind editing my posts, the pay sucks but we offer health care and a pension plan.