Classical Music for Aficionados

I would like to start a thread, similar to Orpheus’ jazz site, for lovers of classical music.
I will list some of my favorite recordings, CDs as well as LP’s. While good sound is not a prime requisite, it will be a consideration.
  Classical music lovers please feel free to add to my lists.
Discussion of musical and recording issues will be welcome.

I’ll start with a list of CDs.  Records to follow in a later post.

Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique.  Chesky  — Royal Phil. Orch.  Freccia, conductor.
Mahler:  Des Knaben Wunderhorn.  Vanguard Classics — Vienna Festival Orch. Prohaska, conductor.
Prokofiev:  Scythian Suite et. al.  DG  — Chicago Symphony  Abbado, conductor.
Brahms: Symphony #1.  Chesky — London Symph. Orch.  Horenstein, conductor.
Stravinsky: L’Histoire du Soldat. HDTT — Ars Nova.  Mandell, conductor.
Rachmaninoff: Symphonic Dances. Analogue Productions. — Dallas Symph Orch. Johanos, cond.
Respighi: Roman Festivals et. al. Chesky — Royal Phil. Orch. Freccia, conductor.

All of the above happen to be great sounding recordings, but, as I said, sonics is not a prerequisite.

128x128rvpiano
I promised in my original post to list some favorite LPs, but, since they’re from so long ago I know they’ll be hard to find.
So, just generally, I’ll recommend some Living Stereo records with Reiner on Analogue Productions. These are readily available.

Stravinsky:  Song of the Nightingale
Prokofiev:  Alexander Nevsky 
Strauss:  Also Sprach Zarathustra 
Strauss:  Death and Transfiguration (not sonically great, but wonderful rendering)

If anyone wants older recommendations, please let me know.  (I still have some 3000 LP’s to go along with over 5000 CDs.)
Well, I see the Frog has gifted us another example of the art of the link !
Hope more will .
+ 17 on his recommend of the Milstein and the Pittsburgh , neither ever made a bad recording .

Fact, if you brush up a bit on your history you will increase your fun with classical music a lot .
 All music is effected by where and when it was composed  and the language of the composer .
Schubert, I have a different POV of what has made Orpheus10's thread endure. 1) His thread is as much about him as anything. He is opinionated, outspoken, and is prepared to defend his opinion.
2) He gets out in front with his opinions - he is not passive and he drives the thread. He is not easily intimidated (even when maybe he should be).
3) He creates dialog and controversy which can work well with folks who are not easily intimidated. Even then watching this dialog at its best is very entertaining, and often educational.

Frogman, great to see that you've joined the thread!  I had been hoping you would, providing us with the benefit of your formidable knowledge and background in classical music.

Regarding Schubert's good suggestion about YouTube links, here is a link to the complete Telarc recording of the Firebird Suite and the Prince Igor excerpts that has been discussed.  The link is not to YouTube, but rather to Archive.org, which I think many of you will find worth exploring in connection with older recordings.  (Entering a name or term of interest in the site's Search box is probably the best way to make use of it.  For example entering "Toscanini" returns 205 hits to look through, including one that is particularly notable IMO which I've cited at the end of this post).

https://archive.org/details/StravinskyTheFirebirdborodinPrinceIgor-Telarc-Vinyl24-bit/Side1.wav

N.B:  To hear the deep bass notes at the beginning of the Firebird Suite you'll probably find yourself turning the volume of your computer speakers WAY up.  And likewise in the closing seconds of the "Berceuse," just before the "Finale" begins.  Be sure to turn those settings WAY down for the dynamic peaks of the recording, which you'll see approaching in the graphical representation of the audio shown near the top of that page.  Otherwise, both you and your computer speakers may not appreciate the consequences :-)

Also, speaking of older recordings which can be found at Archive.org, here is Toscanini's 1940 performance of Brahms' First, transcribed from 78 rpm records.  This is my favorite performance of my favorite symphony, and is easily good enough to make the primitive sonics completely irrelevant, IMO.

https://archive.org/details/BRAHMSSymphonyNo.1-Toscanini-NEWTRANSFER

Enjoy!  Best regards,
-- Al

@newbee -yes, Scriabin and similar spare, but ’modern’ circa the early part of the 20th century. Thanks for the recommendation re that CD set.