Brooklyn DAC+ Anyone?

Hey Folks,

I did some searches and did not see anyone claiming to have the DAC+.  Saw one positive review from a site of which I am unfamiliar.  I prefer reviews where there is listening and testing so perhaps we will have to hope for Stereophile or HiFi News to get one but that will probably take some time.

I have a DAC+ on backorder with MusicDirect so hopefully any bugs will be exterminated before I get mine.  I am also hoping for more details on the circuit changes.

Hope you folks are well and good,
Robert
128x128robob
"Christmas comes early!!!"

Indeed. 

Preliminary listen shows more extended and cleaner/more detailed high end and cleaner bass along with more detail top to bottom.  Not sure I knew I could still hear that much on top.  But don't be thinking it's bright, it is not.  Not nasty or analytical sounding.

Interestingly it may be a small amount less full in the mids than the OPPO 105 but it's early.  This on 16/44.1 fed via toslink from the OPPO, including OPPO's TIDAL app.  Output from DAC+ via Parsec XLRs to Classe CP-500, etc.

Take it EZ,
Robert
Hey Folks,

One of you pm'ed me asking for more thoughts on the DAC+. 

I have now listened to MQA files and streams and SACD's converted to PCM by the OPPO 105 as well as more 16/44.1 material.   As I somewhat alluded to, the real eye opener is how good it is with 16/44.1 sources.  I am an analog guy primarily and have not been a fan of CD except in the beginning when I was impressed by it's clarity compared to most analog of the time.  As I listened more I realized 16/44.1 was not enough bits to capture all the overtones and sustain we are accustomed to hearing with most analog sources. 

Listening to a 16/44.1 stream from TIDAL as I type this, the electric Jazz guitar sounds nice and full and textural.  Texture and high frequency detail are the two most noticeable improvements over other DACs I have had.  The last time I heard 16/44.1 this good was in a MUCH higher priced system with a MUCH higher priced DAC.  And I am not sure that presentation was as good in the mids as the DAC+.  When a stick or mallet hits a drum you hear not only the hit but the reverberation around the hit.  Clarity is there as well, such as delineation of voices in harmony.  Also more sense of the space or air is retrieved compared to what I am used to with low resolution sources. 

Of course higher resolution audio is better, more analog like, more air, pretty much more everything that is good.  MQA is wonderful on most encoded recordings.  As I believe JA (John Atkinson in Stereophile) said, MQA does not provide a benefit in every case but it does in most that I have heard.  As I said elswhere in these forums,  MQA brings one closer to the music.  The old, "like lifting a veil" adage is applicable.

I hope to have time tomorrow for cable swapping and more direct comparison to the DAC in the OPPO.  All my DAC+ listening so far has been over the Parsec XLRs.

My expectations were high but have been surpassed.  It would be interesting to see what they could do by removing the phono section and spending the money on the analog out and an outboard power supply. 

Hope you folks are well and good,
Robert
Why are you running such a good DAC through a preamp and a dated one at that?