Store auditioning and then buying on-line from others. How do you feel about it ?

Doesn't look too pretty, but who cares, right ?
inna
I think that you are mis-quoting me. I said “can’t stand” not “hate”. Do you understand the difference? Likewise Cleeds deduces that I am angry at dealers and this is not true either.

Having lived in New York City and Los Angeles for protracted periods of time, as well as smaller cities I have found, too often, that dealers fail at the mission I have outlined in the post above.

Many are more concerned with their needs and likes than that of the customer, which is reflected in their recommended gear as well as the music that they choose to play.  And many that I have met got into the business for a love of music with minimal business background and precious little customer service experience. This becomes very problematic, very quickly and, frankly, I would rather buy and resell on the secondary market than have to suffer one more dealer.

Kudos to Terri Inman at Stereotypes in Portland OR, who seems to be a model of how to do it right. But I really can’t bother to pan through all of that sand for a few nuggets of gold. YMMV.
oddiofyl said this:
I should say that Audio Visual Therapy in Nashua NH is excellent to deal with and while they didnt have the speakers in the finish i wanted in stock, it was more important that I got to listen to them . They spent time with different amps, putting a sub in the system , etc. Their service is top notch and guess what? It didn’t cost any more than if I ordered them on line, and that’s definitely not something I would do as they have treated me fair everytime I’ve been there.
This parallels my experience rather well with my local dealer, Duane Randleman.
@viridian 
As a native New Yorker, I share your sentiment. During the '80's I visited just about all the stores in the area, and with the exception of one or two, they all exhibited the traits you described:
Many are more concerned with their needs and likes than that of the customer
But, thankfully, we have Audiogon.
And, I have to say that finding John Rutan at Audioconnection was one of the best things that has happened to me. He really knows his stuff, but doesn't preach, and he offers free advice. What more can you want from a dealer?
B