Classical Music for Aficionados

I would like to start a thread, similar to Orpheus’ jazz site, for lovers of classical music.
I will list some of my favorite recordings, CDs as well as LP’s. While good sound is not a prime requisite, it will be a consideration.
  Classical music lovers please feel free to add to my lists.
Discussion of musical and recording issues will be welcome.

I’ll start with a list of CDs.  Records to follow in a later post.

Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique.  Chesky  — Royal Phil. Orch.  Freccia, conductor.
Mahler:  Des Knaben Wunderhorn.  Vanguard Classics — Vienna Festival Orch. Prohaska, conductor.
Prokofiev:  Scythian Suite et. al.  DG  — Chicago Symphony  Abbado, conductor.
Brahms: Symphony #1.  Chesky — London Symph. Orch.  Horenstein, conductor.
Stravinsky: L’Histoire du Soldat. HDTT — Ars Nova.  Mandell, conductor.
Rachmaninoff: Symphonic Dances. Analogue Productions. — Dallas Symph Orch. Johanos, cond.
Respighi: Roman Festivals et. al. Chesky — Royal Phil. Orch. Freccia, conductor.

All of the above happen to be great sounding recordings, but, as I said, sonics is not a prerequisite.

128x128rvpiano
I've found , after about a dozen amps, that Belles has the goods on what is needed for Classical . Neutrality, clarity , instrumental differrentation, depth
and a tiny dab of warmth .

Someone else (audioconnection) recommended the Belles Aria monoblocks, but they are a little out of my price range.  Right now I’m considering the Red Dragon monoblocks (at half the price.)

Johnny R (audioconnection) used to carry the Belles, but now I see they're gone from the website.

Back to classical.  Farrar, Orchestral Pieces, on Chandos, is superb-sounding, a notably deep soundstage and some great bass thwacks.  Style is post-Elgar/Vaughn Williams.  (Warning: don't set the volume on the basis of the first few seconds of track 1, or you'll be in for a surprise.)

On a well mastered cd of an excellently produced recording there is air around instruments and in the hall going back to the beginning of the stereo era and even on some mono recordings.

Some of the remastered recordings that have been coming out lately are jaw dropping. You feel like you are in the space with the performers. It's really kind of eerie how much information was captured on those tapes.

I totally agree.  Those remasterings of early stereo recordings on CD are wonderful.  The majority of CDs however don’t have the space that most LPs do.